PDA

View Full Version : Final finish quality

TheCoatingStore.com

jime
10-17-2013, 02:25 PM
I recently completed the restoration of a classic car including doing all the body work. I chose to take the car to a local custom shop do shoot the paint, and am generally very pleased with the result. Everyone that sees it comments on how good the paint looks. Even so, I feel that it could be better. What I see (and no one else seems to) is that when I look at the florescent fixtures on my ceiling in the paint I can see very small ripples. I originally thought that maybe the painter failed to sufficiently sand the paint before compounding, so I took some 2000 grit on a 1" X 12" durablock and, with very light pressure, wet sanded about a one foot area on the trunk. I then compounded it, and saw no difference in the appearance. The small ripples were still there, and I couldn't tell where I had sanded and where I had not. It's as if there is a hardness difference in the clear and it's not sanding smooth. Am I missing something here, or am I expecting too much. I know I've seen show cars that do not appear to have these ripples.

Thanks for any help
Jim

Bob K
10-17-2013, 03:39 PM
Consider that you may have used too fine of a grit and too soft of a block. The paper probably followed the very slight contour of the surface. I could be wrong on that but that has been my experience. Course paper will flatten the clear, and then you can go to finer grits to do the polishing. You should be careful though because you didnít do the painting so you donít know how thick the clear is.

Len
10-17-2013, 04:37 PM
I'm with Bob, if the paint has waves in it then a hard block with more coarse paper will usually get rid of them then you follow that with finer paper to get rid of the deeper scratches before polishing. The problem now is that using coarse paper you could sand through the clear and you would need to repaint.

gtome
10-17-2013, 04:42 PM
Might be worth it to return it to them and have a pro do it. Not trying to discourage you from doing it yourself. But you could easily jack up a high dollar paint job.

jime
10-17-2013, 05:12 PM
Thanks for the input. I'm pretty sure the clear's fairly heavy, but I certainly don't want to do anything that might make it worse. I'll take it back to the painter and see what he says about it. He's getting lots of advertising off this car and is very protective of it.

Thanks again
Jim

Len
10-17-2013, 06:10 PM
Thanks for the input. I'm pretty sure the clear's fairly heavy, but I certainly don't want to do anything that might make it worse. I'll take it back to the painter and see what he says about it. He's getting lots of advertising off this car and is very protective of it.

Thanks again
Jim

Let us know the outcome.

xtremekustomz
10-17-2013, 07:38 PM
Yeah sounds like urethane wave.

satarules
10-31-2013, 11:55 PM
this is where it needs to be hard blocked with 400 or 600 then flow coated if ya want to get true flat showcar finish

gtome
11-01-2013, 06:07 AM
Not totally true. I hardblocked out 2 doors yesterday starting with 600, then 1000, 1500, 2500, then 3000 da, and it looks amazing! Totally flat. But I also am the one that applied the clear so I knew for sure there were 4 solid wet coats on it.

style
11-01-2013, 08:48 AM
I recently completed the restoration of a classic car including doing all the body work. I chose to take the car to a local custom shop do shoot the paint, and am generally very pleased with the result. Everyone that sees it comments on how good the paint looks. Even so, I feel that it could be better. What I see (and no one else seems to) is that when I look at the florescent fixtures on my ceiling in the paint I can see very small ripples. I originally thought that maybe the painter failed to sufficiently sand the paint before compounding, so I took some 2000 grit on a 1" X 12" durablock and, with very light pressure, wet sanded about a one foot area on the trunk. I then compounded it, and saw no difference in the appearance. The small ripples were still there, and I couldn't tell where I had sanded and where I had not. It's as if there is a hardness difference in the clear and it's not sanding smooth. Am I missing something here, or am I expecting too much. I know I've seen show cars that do not appear to have these ripples.

Thanks for any help
Jim
Is it in the clear or under the clear,I think I've seen what your talking about with some colors and I've hard blocked my clear with 800 1000 1500 etc and it looked no different after buffing it was the texture of the basecoat and there was no way to fix it..

gtome
11-01-2013, 12:31 PM
I thought the same thing on these doors. First one I did looked read good. But not perfectly flat. Did the same thing on the other door, but did a little extra work with the 600 and it was dead flat. Gotta really get it knocked down with the rough stuff first. I did down to where the orange peel was just barely gone, then went over it one more time. That was the ticket!