PDA

View Full Version : Forever Black - Liquid Dye vs Gel ?s

TheCoatingStore.com

AlexeiVT
09-18-2013, 09:35 PM
Hello,
Just wondering if anyone out there has experience w/ using BOTH of these products, and could point out how they compare to each other, aside from their consistency...mainly, would I really be able to tell the appearance between the two used side by side?

I've been using up the liquid dye, which I quite like, as I can follow it up w/ a foam brush and get it in everywhere...it's restored my interior nicely, but I'm about to run out.

I was considering trying out the gel, solely for the fact that it seems to offer twice the amount (8 oz) at the same price as the 4 oz liquid...if all else is the same, in terms of sheen and application, and end result...the gel "seems" like a better alternative (unless it somehow is different).

Thanks again...I used the Forever Black dye on the recommendation of this forum, am quite pleased as far as the immediate short term effect.

(In addition to finishing up the interior...I was going to keep on plugging along and do the tires and vinyl convertible top and tonneau...but it'd be better in the long run to know the products all basically look the same, should I need to address some touch up later)...the way it's marketed, the gel seems to lean toward tops and tires (but if it's all the same "permanent black silicone free dye...might as well get twice the amount, prices being the same).

Len
09-18-2013, 09:45 PM
Hello,
Just wondering if anyone out there has experience w/ using BOTH of these products, and could point out how they compare to each other, aside from their consistency...mainly, would I really be able to tell the appearance between the two used side by side?

I've been using up the liquid dye, which I quite like, as I can follow it up w/ a foam brush and get it in everywhere...it's restored my interior nicely, but I'm about to run out.

I was considering trying out the gel, solely for the fact that it seems to offer twice the amount (8 oz) at the same price as the 4 oz liquid...if all else is the same, in terms of sheen and application, and end result...the gel "seems" like a better alternative (unless it somehow is different).

Thanks again...I used the Forever Black dye on the recommendation of this forum, am quite pleased as far as the immediate short term effect.

(In addition to finishing up the interior...I was going to keep on plugging along and do the tires and vinyl convertible top and tonneau...but it'd be better in the long run to know the products all basically look the same, should I need to address some touch up later)...the way it's marketed, the gel seems to lean toward tops and tires (but if it's all the same "permanent black silicone free dye...might as well get twice the amount, prices being the same).

I've used Forever Black quite a bit and I've always been happy with the result. I used to sell it but I was having a difficult time getting it consistently so I pulled it off the site.

AlexeiVT
09-18-2013, 10:02 PM
Len,
I was hoping you might still have carry it...as I knew I'd get it fastest by going through you.

Did you ever use the "Gel" version (at the time I heard about it over a decade ago, I only knew of the "liquid" bumper restorer version).

Is the gel basically the same as the liquid (so far as anyone can tell)...just trying to figure if it's comparable to primer/paint, being more/less reduced to change viscosity, according to how you want to alter coverage, or are going for filling vs distance?

Basically, gel is half the price of liquid...just not sure if they can be used interchangeably for all intensive purposes.

Len
09-19-2013, 06:03 AM
I don't know what you mean by "gel version", I used their tire dressing and bumper restore applicator and it worked great. I believe the company was sold so maybe the new owner has better distribution.

AlexeiVT
09-19-2013, 01:24 PM
Len,
They have a website "ForeverBlack" that now indicates there are 4 products in the series (the original "liquid" bumper/trim dye, and 3 separate "gel" dyes...for tire, convertible top, and truck bed liner).

I'm thinking at this point, it's one of the cases, of stick w/ the original version, and adjust application techniques to suit using that one product (vs. using the same base, w/ something added solely for viscosity and clinging sake).

The gel versions are priced considerably cheaper per oz...but in thinking about it, the liquid will not only spread farther and thinner, it'll get worked into crevices w/ less product waste.

I'm thinking the gel has it's place, to quickly slop it on a tire and call it good, since it'd cling...granted, using the liquid may take more care, but realistically figuring this is done once a year (or 10+ in my case), going the liquid route gets the most utility out of the dye for multiple areas of use (sort of like spraying polyester vs. full body bondo and sand).

I just try to avoid buying multiple products that essentially do precisely the same thing in the end, and chemically give the same result, that just get priced differently according to how they market the box. Couldn't fathom buying 3 identical gels...and am figuring that the gel may be easier to apply vertically, it has to end up in more product wasted, or at the least, requiring excess to be wiped off or spread away.

Again...a case of overthinking it.