PDA

View Full Version : wet sanding tool of choice

TheCoatingStore.com

projectPONY
05-22-2013, 08:41 PM
For those of you that cut your clear to remove texture/orange peel, what is your tool of choice? Is it just a tried and true D/A or something a little more specialized for the job? I've been thinking about buying something strictly for cutting but with all the options out there like, 3/16 vs 3/32 offset and water fed vs not, it kinda throws me for a loop. So what do you guys use and/or recommend?

Bob K
05-22-2013, 09:39 PM
I got a 3/32 AirVantage from Len quite a few years ago. Final clean up of paint is what I had in mind then but once I got it I use it for almost everything. My DA is somewhere in storage. I havenít seen or wanted to use it for many years.

Bob K

Len
05-22-2013, 10:50 PM
We've been using both the 3/16 and the 3/32 AirVantage sanders for several years and find that we gravitate to the 3/32 for most color/clear sanding but we occasionally use the 3/16 when we have more severe problems or want to move faster. The AirVantage is the best we've found because it's very low profile allows for better control and the price of the AirVantage is great for the quality of the sander.

projectPONY
05-23-2013, 01:24 AM
We've been using both the 3/16 and the 3/32 AirVantage sanders for several years and find that we gravitate to the 3/32 for most color/clear sanding but we occasionally use the 3/16 when we have more severe problems or want to move faster. The AirVantage is the best we've found because it's very low profile allows for better control and the price of the AirVantage is great for the quality of the sander.

So I gather either stroke would do well when cutting clear coat. What is your opinion on the water fed vs non water fed models?

Len
05-23-2013, 06:55 AM
So I gather either stroke would do well when cutting clear coat. What is your opinion on the water fed vs non water fed models?

I haven't used the most modern water fed models so they may be different but I found the one I did use to be cumbersome. I think it's easier to use a spray bottle with water in it than to have the sander's extra hose to drag around. I guess if you were sanding in one place all day it may not be too bad but on a car with both horizontal and vertical surfaces, in different areas it gets to be more trouble than it's worth. However, like I said, the newer models may have something to offer that I haven't seen.

Robert
05-23-2013, 10:04 AM
since the new wetsanding disks take so little water to run well, water fed isn't necessary. Also, I use a chapman sprayer with *gasp* turtlewax rinse free wash and wax as my wetting agent. I find it coats the sanding residue and keeps it from sticking later and makes for a very easy clean up.

Like Len said, 3/16 is both faster and I think better at this point. 3/32 was necessary a few years ago and when dry sanding but at this point, the papers have gotten a lot better so I think if I were going to have only one machine it would be the 3/16 and absolutely AIRVANTAGE. As far as I'm concerned there is no better value.

I just paid over $350 dollars for a 4 gallon wetdry vacuum. I could have paid $50 bucks for something similar but the one I got is - quiet, powerful, small, easy to service, the filter is cleanable and goes in and out easily, light but with a 1300 watt motor. I look at equipment based on how it works and how I feel working with it. The first time I used that vac it cost me $350 per use, the second $175, the third $116.66, etc. At this point it's down to about a few bucks but dropping every day. In a month, the difference between the $50 dollar machine and the $350 dollar machine will be a about a dollar which is nothing compared to the joy of working with good equipment.

Get the AirVantage - joy that cheap doesn't come often.

Robert

projectPONY
05-23-2013, 10:36 AM
ok, now that I've gotten a solid recommendation as to what machine, let's shift our discussion over to the sand paper. I've heard a lot of good things about the 3M Trisact stuff. has anyone here used it? comments, thoughts? it is to my understanding that some of these higher end sanding papers are foam backed. does this negate the need for an interface pad, or is it still necessary? this stuff is not cheap, so what other brands of paper do you guys use that compare well with the higher end stuff?

Henry
05-23-2013, 11:43 AM
ok, now that I've gotten a solid recommendation as to what machine, let's shift our discussion over to the sand paper. I've heard a lot of good things about the 3M Trisact stuff. has anyone here used it? comments, thoughts? it is to my understanding that some of these higher end sanding papers are foam backed. does this negate the need for an interface pad, or is it still necessary? this stuff is not cheap, so what other brands of paper do you guys use that compare well with the higher end stuff?

I just don't do enough colorsanding anymore and never tried the finer grit Trizact papers. I'm still doing fine with 1500 finish film and Sure Finish. I have never gotten the pigtails many others complain about and after proper buffing I see no scratch but that's me. Robert couldn't do this and shouldn't since his profession relies on all the new things out there that he shares with us.

As for the interface pad, I bought one from Len when I first started using a machine to sand vs wetsanding. To me it's worth having but I rarely use it at all. Good crutch but once you learn how to handle your AirVantage it's not needed. Actually, using the interface pad slows your sanding process down. When you order your AirVantage tell Len to add in the interface pad since they're so cheap it's worth having. The AirVantage is like a good stud welder; you'll only buy one!

Henry

Len
05-23-2013, 11:46 AM

Trizact is a good product and it holds up well. Using an interface pad is recommended for non-foam backed disks like 1500 grit but it's really not needed on disks with a foam back mainly because it has a little cushion and they are finer grits.