PDA

View Full Version : new car orange peal

TheCoatingStore.com

tr6oldtimer
05-17-2013, 08:45 PM
So you drop good money on car, and the finish sucks. Lexuz, BMW, others, it does not matter, most finishes are terrible. I have a 2012 Z4 silver BMW that has orange peel. Thankfully the color does not amplify the defects which is why I think I will leave it as it is.

That said, in the back of my head I hear "Something can be done to fix or minimize this." I would go at it myself, but fear burning through the clear.

Not that I will go ahead and try and smooth the finish, but I an curious as to what, if anything can be done.

Len
05-17-2013, 09:59 PM
So you drop good money on car, and the finish sucks. Lexuz, BMW, others, it does not matter, most finishes are terrible. I have a 2012 Z4 silver BMW that has orange peel. Thankfully the color does not amplify the defects which is why I think I will leave it as it is.

That said, in the back of my head I hear "Something can be done to fix or minimize this." I would go at it myself, but fear burning through the clear.

Not that I will go ahead and try and smooth the finish, but I an curious as to what, if anything can be done.

The trick with most OEM finishes is to NOT try to make them perfect, only improve them to "acceptable" by going with a fine wet grit like 3000 or even 5000 Trizact then polish without using a lot of speed or pressure. You'd be surprised how much better it can be.

tr6oldtimer
05-17-2013, 10:21 PM
The trick with most OEM finishes is to NOT try to make them perfect, only improve them to "acceptable" by going with a fine wet grit like 3000 or even 5000 Trizact then polish without using a lot of speed or pressure. You'd be surprised how much better it can be.

Thanks Len, now to find a BMW in the hood to hone my skills :-)

Maybe best to just leave alone, or trust to a pro.

TOGWT
05-18-2013, 04:52 AM
With paint thickness (or should I say thinness) on OEM finishes best to leave it to a pro with a paint gauge

Henry
05-18-2013, 08:29 AM
Thanks Len, now to find a BMW in the hood to hone my skills :-)

Maybe best to just leave alone, or trust to a pro.

Hey Ray. Below is a link to Robert doing just that. Making OEM paint just a little flatter. Check it out:

http://www.autobodystore.com/rsw.shtml

Send Robert a PM. Don't know how far apart you guys are. I might just leave the car alone if it were mine. I know the mess I'd end up in if I messed with it. It would become a repaint quickly where nothing was wrong with how it was. I starred in that movie too many times.

Henry

Mooch
05-18-2013, 09:33 AM
I don't understand you guys . I was looking at the finish on my father in laws new caddy and thought it looked great .

I think the finish on LS6's Mustang looks great . Too much of a hang up on must be like glass .

leave it alone ray .

Mooch

Len
05-18-2013, 09:49 AM
I don't understand you guys . I was looking at the finish on my father in laws new caddy and thought it looked great .

I think the finish on LS6's Mustang looks great . Too much of a hang up on must be like glass .

leave it alone ray .

Mooch

Some have a lot more orange peel than others. Even the same make, model and color can vary quite a bit.

tbm3fan
05-19-2013, 01:35 AM
I have notice several top end cars with noticeable orange peel so it is YMMV. When I left work today there was a new Hyundai sports coupe parked next to me, under an overhang, in white. While sitting in my car I noticed the orange peel was very pronounced in the paint to the point of looking pebbly.

TOGWT
05-19-2013, 04:28 AM
OR is a common fault with many new vehicles, whatever the marque, I've been asked to "sort out wavy paint" on Ferrari and Maserati as well as re-painted vehicles

turbocobra
07-24-2013, 02:02 PM
My wife has a 2011 VW CC that is black, and had quite a bit of peel in it.

I was thinking of sanding it down 1000-1200 grit on flat surfaces, and dulling the edges with like 1500-2000, then shooting 3 coats of clear, then doing a full wet sand and polish on it.

A bit of labor involved, but only $200 or so for a gallon of decent clear, and probably $100 in paper, compound, supplies. so for $300-$400 you could get a really nice finish out of it.

I guess if you burned through in a couple spots you could get a pint of base and dust in before the re-clear?

Len
07-24-2013, 04:24 PM

I was thinking of sanding it down 1000-1200 grit on flat surfaces, and dulling the edges with like 1500-2000, then shooting 3 coats of clear, then doing a full wet sand and polish on it.

A bit of labor involved, but only $200 or so for a gallon of decent clear, and probably $100 in paper, compound, supplies. so for $300-$400 you could get a really nice finish out of it.

I guess if you burned through in a couple spots you could get a pint of base and dust in before the re-clear?

You could try using an orbital sander with some 1500 then 3000 grit then polish it to see if it helps before you invest in clearing it.

Henry
07-25-2013, 09:44 AM

That's a pretty or should I say, handsome car. I've seen it in your driveway. In the right color too. Below is a link to Robert's efforts on OEM paint. I 'might' try that first in a gingerely manner. Then again, I think you should leave it alone and just keep it well groomed in polish. Can't see that beautiful car in the Mustang's garage and watching video clips for a couple years while you get it done. (laugh) Seriously, look at what ROBERT did below:

http://www.autobodystore.com/rsw.shtml

You need to make sure she's onboard with repainting her car.

Henry

turbocobra
07-25-2013, 10:48 PM
Lol, I caught that jab at me Henry! Only 2 years? have you looked at the start date of my build thread?

I guess i will just leave it alone... but will soon be finished with the car and bike and need something to do...

junk
07-26-2013, 08:10 AM
I'm with Mooch on these deals. I would leave them alone. I do agree factory paint has a lot of peel, but I'd leave it. Truthfully the peel in factory stuff doesn't bother me.

Len
07-26-2013, 09:00 AM
I'm with Mooch on these deals. I would leave them alone. I do agree factory paint has a lot of peel, but I'd leave it. Truthfully the peel in factory stuff doesn't bother me.

Factory orange peel can vary greatly and darker colors can show the peel a lot more than light colors. Most factories don't put a lot of paint on a car so you need to be careful when sanding but the difference can be dramatic. I have a friend that had a new, black Chevy and their was a big difference between before and after sanding and polishing.

Henry
07-26-2013, 10:26 AM
Lol, I caught that jab at me Henry! Only 2 years? have you looked at the start date of my build thread?

I guess i will just leave it alone... but will soon be finished with the car and bike and need something to do...

We'll call on Len to confirm if the product ZAINO is still on the market. If it is, I woulld strongly suggest you use it one that black beauty. It will make that paint look over 10 feet deep. It's not just a wax it's a system with many component products. Many new car manufacturers endorsed it so well they encourage the use of it in their owner manuals.

My nephew has a yellow Jeep Wrangler. He found ZAINO on the web and asked me about it. This was maybe 10 years ago and I told him all about it and what it could do. I learned all about it here on the ABS as Len also endorsed it and we had a lifelong member DZD, DonZDon from Texas who was a distributor of the product as well as a professional car restorer. Long story short, my nephew did the yellow Jeep and I can't believe the depth that ZAINO gave that paint. Looked like a totally different paint on a light color at that and Jeep Wranglers have a lot of orange peel.

I know I could have googled Zaino first but then wouldn't have been able to write this reply and drive down memory lane about DZD.

Henry

BTW: maybe if the black car was polished and had a garage to live in it would look better also.

Len
07-26-2013, 12:13 PM
I think Zaino is still on the market but I haven't heard anything about it in years. The only problem with Zaino as it relates to this thread is that it doesn't do anything for orange peel but if you want to protect a good paint job then Zaino may be the way to go. Another good product for protecting paint is Armorall's Extreme Shield, great stuff and available at your local Pep Boys or most auto supply stores.

turbocobra
07-27-2013, 05:59 PM
Oh yes, I am familiar with Zaino, I have used it many years ago. It's pretty labor intensive to use, like 3-4 different products/steps to put the whole system into use.

I really am not afraid to hit the clear with some 1500/2000 to knock alot of the peel down then buff / polish it out. If I burn through? so be it... I get to learn how to blend base coat :)