PDA

View Full Version : Wizards

TheCoatingStore.com

JGW
05-08-2013, 06:35 PM
What is the difference between mystic cut and turbo cut?
Also, I'm having problems removing wetsand scratches. I am finishing off with 2000 grit and then compounding with a sheepskin pad with mystic cut, however I'm still seeing wetsand scratches in the sun, especially on black paint. Should I go up to 3000 grit before buffing?

Len
05-08-2013, 09:07 PM
What is the difference between mystic cut and turbo cut?
Also, I'm having problems removing wetsand scratches. I am finishing off with 2000 grit and then compounding with a sheepskin pad with mystic cut, however I'm still seeing wetsand scratches in the sun, especially on black paint. Should I go up to 3000 grit before buffing?

What type of buffer? Rotary or elliptical?

Are the scratches in the surface or under the clear?

Wizards Mystic Cut works pretty fast so you shouldn't be seeing scratches with a medium amount of buffing. Are you sanding with 1500 then 2000?

JGW
05-09-2013, 07:16 AM
What type of buffer? Rotary or elliptical?

Are the scratches in the surface or under the clear?

Wizards Mystic Cut works pretty fast so you shouldn't be seeing scratches with a medium amount of buffing. Are you sanding with 1500 then 2000?

Rotary. The scratches are on the surface of the clear. The last black car I buffed you can still see the scratches in the sun, left by the 2000 grit sandpaper. I only sanded with 2000 grit.

Len
05-09-2013, 07:44 AM
Rotary. The scratches are on the surface of the clear. The last black car I buffed you can still see the scratches in the sun, left by the 2000 grit sandpaper. I only sanded with 2000 grit.

This is a first. We've sold quite a bit of Mystic Cut and everyone raves about how fast and flawless it works. We also use it in our shop with excellent results. I'd say that you either have deeper scratches in the surface or you're not buffing long or hard enough to remove them.

JGW
05-09-2013, 08:33 PM
It must be my technique. The pad just doesn't seem to be cutting. I put quite a bit of pressure and the scratches still did not come out, very strange.

Len
05-09-2013, 08:42 PM
It must be my technique. The pad just doesn't seem to be cutting. I put quite a bit of pressure and the scratches still did not come out, very strange.

What kind of sandpaper are you using and what grits?

JGW
05-11-2013, 06:27 PM
3m sandpaper, 2000 grit.

Len
05-11-2013, 07:53 PM
3m sandpaper, 2000 grit.

The Mystic Cut should remove the 2000 grit scratch quite easily. Be sure that you're not sanding too dry, keep the surface quite wet and allow the water to wash away any particles. Also, be sure to remove any dust nibs before you start using the 2000 grit because the nibs can put deep scratches in the paint as you sand.

gtome
05-12-2013, 09:14 AM
Thats super starange. You should just about be able to buff out 2000 grit scratches by hand. With a buffer those should come out really easily, and fairly quick too. Something doesnt seem right. Did you use 2000 grit on a block or a DA?

Robert
05-12-2013, 09:21 AM

I think you should do an experiment - sand a panel with 2000 and polish it out, then compare it to the panel next to it and see how much difference you're getting for that effort. In my experience, 2000 has little to no effect on orange peel unless the paint is very soft and I use a pretty hard block.

Soak your sandpaper overnight and see what happens.

Robert

JGW
05-14-2013, 04:35 PM
Thanks guys. I will try that experiment Robert, if I ever get the chance.

Brian Felts
07-20-2013, 07:23 PM
Len:

I have been using Presta ultra cutting, how does the wizards compare to it? Would it be a good switch?

Thanks
Brian Felts

Len
07-20-2013, 10:56 PM
Len:

I have been using Presta ultra cutting, how does the wizards compare to it? Would it be a good switch?

Thanks
Brian Felts

Yes, in our shop, the Wizards Mystic Cut compound is our new goto polish. The Presta Ultra Cutting Cream is good but the Mystic Cut doesn't have nearly as much lubricant in it and you can see the surface better because you won't get all that oil filling the scratches and it cuts fast like the Presta. We use the Mystic Cut for 80% of our polishing and Sure Finish for the less aggressive polish.

Both the Mystic Cut and Sure Finish can last a long time if you use a spritz of water to keep the compound active in the pad. They are not diminishing abrasives like the Presta and other products and a little water will reactivate them allowing them to keep cutting.

http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/wiz11048.jpg
Link (http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=ABS&Product_Code=WIZ11048&Category_Code=M3)

Brian Felts
11-11-2013, 04:26 AM
I used presta and had good results but tried the Wizards and it seems to taken me from a average hobbyist buffer to looking like a pro with some other tips from Len and Henry. I will be purchasing more! Wizards is my favorite so far.

Brian

Henry
11-11-2013, 10:19 AM
I used presta and had good results but tried the Wizards and it seems to taken me from a average hobbyist buffer to looking like a pro with some other tips from Len and Henry. I will be purchasing more! Wizards is my favorite so far.

Brian

You reinforce what I've been saying on this site for 15+ years:

This site is NOT sales site like others are. This is a place where we communicate and interact to find the best way to get any autobody task performed the right way. This place is open 24/7-365 and is equipped with PM (personal messaging) to whoever you need to privatly ask a question. I love that we're in this together and can help one another. I really love the fact that Len does sell top notch products at very competitive prices but you get the handheld learning that goes with it.

Len has this site, the STORE and more importantly works in his own CUSTOM SHOP where he get to test items in the store with his own 2 hands. I've seen him add stuff to the store and also, report to us that he has discontinued use of products and equipment he feels are not in his or OUR Best Interest. It don't get better than that.

I REALLY WISH more people who come to this site would sign up and become members. As a member they would get to click on links NOT available to non-members. It don't cost ANYTHING to become a member other than giving your email address - AND that email address is NEVER given to anyone and you don't get emails from this site either.

There are over 300 people on this site at all times but usually only 10-20 members at given times of the day. Non MEMBERS would reward themselves even if they only post one question. I'm glad you're a Member as I enjoy following what you do as well as many others. Glad also, your Colorsand/Buffing is under YOUR control. Below is a link to some fine tuning in videos by ROBERT:

http://autobodystore.com/forum/showthread.php?23828-Robert-s-Detailing-Videos

Henry

gtome
11-14-2013, 09:29 PM
I just wanted to throw this in because I grabbed some Wizards loacally and used it on the 66 GTO hardtop (burgandy car I posted). Seemed to work just fine, but for me it felt like it made the foam pad pretty "grabby". Never bounced or anything, just felt like it could throw my panel off the stand without too much trouble. Which it never did of course! Anyone else notice that compared to the leading brand?

Len
11-14-2013, 09:46 PM
I just wanted to throw this in because I grabbed some Wizards loacally and used it on the 66 GTO hardtop (burgandy car I posted). Seemed to work just fine, but for me it felt like it made the foam pad pretty "grabby". Never bounced or anything, just felt like it could throw my panel off the stand without too much trouble. Which it never did of course! Anyone else notice that compared to the leading brand?

We've been using it quite a bit and I haven't noticed any difference in the drag versus Sure Finish. Dampen the foam before you start... not too wet, just damp.

gtome
11-14-2013, 11:55 PM
I did dampen it slightly, maybe I need to get it just a bit more moist. I did notice it, for me, seemed to like lower revs compared to what I was used to. I did have to start with a wool pad too. Sanded to 3000 grit, the black 3m waffel pad wouldnt pick up the shine very well without the wool pad first. But the wool pad shined it up fast, and using only one product was a nice change. Maybe for the next one I will pick up a set of yours with a blend to try first. Seems counter productive to hit 3000 grit with wool.

Kent
11-15-2013, 08:24 AM
GTO, I think you are right on about how the Wizards gums up the pads. It cuts well but man I am constantly having to spur the pads. My go to is Buff Light 2 from Malco. I stays wet and really cuts well with a blended wool and finishes with a foam. I have a cabinet full of expensive product but none work as well as the Malco stuff. A lot of the Malco products are relabeled Presta products.

Len
11-15-2013, 08:51 AM
GTO, I think you are right on about how the Wizards gums up the pads. It cuts well but man I am constantly having to spur the pads. My go to is Buff Light 2 from Malco. I stays wet and really cuts well with a blended wool and finishes with a foam. I have a cabinet full of expensive product but none work as well as the Malco stuff. A lot of the Malco products are relabeled Presta products.

I find that the Malco/Presta products work well but they contain a lot of oil-type lubricants that mask the result and if you don't polish quite a bit after the scratch disappears then the scratches will reappear as the lubricants go away. We used Presta for many years after we stopped using 3M and we still have some in the shop but gave up on it when we started using Sure Finish and now Wizards Mystic Cut.

Which Wizards products did you use that gummed up the pad? The Mystic Cut is fairly new and I haven't use many of their other products.

Kent
11-15-2013, 09:49 AM
It does have a bit more oil than some of the others. That is why it has a longer working window. I check all my work with Isopropyl Alcohol. Sometimes it is being covered and others not. Really depends on the type of scratch. I have been using the Mystic Cut. It does cut well but really loads up fast. I use the Buff lite then finish with the Lite Finish.

Len
11-15-2013, 10:01 AM
It does have a bit more oil than some of the others. That is why it has a longer working window. I check all my work with Isopropyl Alcohol. Sometimes it is being covered and others not. Really depends on the type of scratch. I have been using the Mystic Cut. It does cut well but really loads up fast. I use the Buff lite then finish with the Lite Finish.

I haven't seen the Mystic Cut or the Sure Finish load up the pad. I just talked to my helper that does most of our buffing and he said that you're probably using too much polish because it takes a lot less Mystic Cut than Presta to do the job. He also said that he uses water in a spray bottle to moisten the surface as he buffs. Since Mystic Cut and Sure Finish are not "diminishing abrasives" like Presta they are reactivated by the water and you don't need nearly as much polish. Give it a try.

Kent
11-15-2013, 11:39 AM
"If a little is good then a lot must be better!" It very well could be. I just have noticed that I just don't get the ease of results I want. BTW, I am talking about removing scratches that are fairly deep on used cars. Not sandpaper scratches. I have heard of a lot of people that swear by a product that others swear at. I can't give up on it. I have half a gallon I bought awhile back.

Len
11-15-2013, 11:43 AM
"If a little is good then a lot must be better!" It very well could be. I just have noticed that I just don't get the ease of results I want. BTW, I am talking about removing scratches that are fairly deep on used cars. Not sandpaper scratches. I have heard of a lot of people that swear by a product that others swear at. I can't give up on it. I have half a gallon I bought awhile back.

Deep scratches or fine scratches the Mystic Cut works as fast or faster than most other compounds. This was one of the reasons we switched to it. We normally sand with 1500 then 3000 grit to remove coarse scratches prior to polishing.

Henry
11-15-2013, 11:50 AM

Kent, what do you mean by this: I check all my work with Isopropyl Alcohol. Thanks.

Henry

Kent
11-15-2013, 06:27 PM
The alcohol removes the oils that may be hiding the scratches.

gtome
11-15-2013, 09:13 PM
I didnt notice it loading or gumming up the pad. Just felt a little more "grabby" than the 3M I usually use. Again, this was with a double sided 3M black waffel pad and the Makita.