PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum vs plastic paint cup

CoolasIce
07-28-2006, 05:05 PM
What's the difference between aluminum and plastic cups besides the aluminum is more expensive and can stand up to strong solvents better?
thanks.

Phil V
07-28-2006, 06:34 PM
You can see how much paint is in the plastic cup but not the aluminum cup (obviously). I've used both and I prefer the aluminum ones.

AlexeiVT
07-28-2006, 06:53 PM
I think it comes down to a preference issue.

I like the aluminum for several reasons.

If you get past that ideal window for easily cleaning up any thick primers, and they start to gell in the cup, the aluminum stands up to a bit more "agressive and abrasive" cleaning methods. I'm not suggesting you do so, as obviously a clean shiny cup is easier to clean in the first place, but once a plastic cup starts to get some scratches, they tend to hold up less nicely.

But, more importantly, is probably how the lids go on. The plastic ones I've used, have screw on lids, and an associated gasket. Inevitably (unless using a gin liner) some paint will splash up there, gum up the gasket, or if you're dumping out material you always get some on the lip...eventually, it becomes more of a mess to clean up.

W/ the aluminum ones I've used, the caps snap in, and have several tiny circumferential grooves to keep the paint from making it's way out. They are easier to remove and install, and easier to clean.

It's not like one has anything huge going for it, as a bit of sensible maintenance makes for good use of either, but I opt for aluminum.

isprayum
07-28-2006, 08:32 PM
that screw on cap is a pita. go aluminum

CoolasIce
07-28-2006, 10:38 PM
Aluminum it is. Thanks.:)

Mooch
07-28-2006, 10:41 PM
I prefer the plastic because of seeing how much paint is left. But almost all my cups are aluminum because that's what was on the gun.

Aluminum is a little easier to clean but I don't find plastic that much harder.

But I have to add I don't spray near as much as i did when I was younger.

My suggestion is buy the gun you like and just change the cup to what you like.
Mooch :)

Len
07-28-2006, 11:07 PM
I like the plastic cups for clear because you can see the amount left in the cup but for single stage color and for base coat color as well as primer I prefer aluminum. Clear will show its level in the cup but color and primer tends to coat the plastic cup and you can't see the level. Plastic is more sensitive to strong solvent. Screw-on and push-on lids come in either plastic or aluminum cups, while thread-on lids are more secure the push-on lids are easier to clean. I usually prefer aluminum cups because there are fewer variables I need to worry about.

compositejunky
07-30-2006, 03:17 AM
I think the PPS which is neither plastic or metal is best. You can see how much paint you are using, no clean up, and you can spray upside down :)