PDA

View Full Version : New guy, first post and I need advice.

69supercj
07-28-2006, 09:46 AM
I've got an old '57 Ford wagon that was blasted some time ago and was needing to know what I should use to protect/coat the blasted areas? Its got some flash rust on it,(its been blasted for a year of so) and some places where it was touched have heavier rust and didn't know if I should blast it again and then prime or if I can treat the metal with something and then prime it. It will be stored inside a barn that is not heated or cooled. Would rattle can primer suffice or should I shoot some epoxy on it? Hopefully the car will sell and I won't have to store it long. Thanks for any and all advice!!

Len
07-28-2006, 10:06 AM
I've got an old '57 Ford wagon that was blasted some time ago and was needing to know what I should use to protect/coat the blasted areas? Its got some flash rust on it,(its been blasted for a year of so) and some places where it was touched have heavier rust and didn't know if I should blast it again and then prime or if I can treat the metal with something and then prime it. It will be stored inside a barn that is not heated or cooled. Would rattle can primer suffice or should I shoot some epoxy on it? Hopefully the car will sell and I won't have to store it long. Thanks for any and all advice!!

Sand off the loose rust using some 80 grit sandpaper then spray or brush on some Picklex 20 and work it in with a scuff pad then wipe off the excess with paper towels. It's not necessary to dry it but just wipe off the excess so that it's not puddled anywhere.

As long as the vehicle is going to be stored indoors you can leave the it with just Picklex on the surface then when you're ready for primer you can scuff it and apply epoxy primer, no acid based primer on top of Picklex.

The Picklex will convert any remaining rust into a paintable surface and protect the metal from further flash rusting as long as it's kept out of the rain. Try not to get the Picklex on any aluminum, vinyl or anywhere it doesn't belong because it can cause discoloration of certain materials.

http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/P20asst.jpg
Picklex 20 Link (http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=6RCC)