PDA

View Full Version : rust repair on mustang

TheCoatingStore.com

mscog
07-27-2006, 01:40 PM
I have a 65 mustang coupe with rust on bottom of back window. It is rusted through on both the panel between the window and trunk and on the bottom side of the window but it doesn't go very far out form the edge of the window. I have a donor that is solid. Should I replace the whole panel, Which would still leave the side to patch or is there any reason i couldn't just cut out and replace what i need to patch both bottom and side in the corner at the same time. I have a small mig and have done some patches before. Thanks for the input.

Len
07-27-2006, 02:35 PM
If it's not too bad I would probably just remove the bad metal then cut a patch out of the donor piece and weld it in.

SamG
07-27-2006, 03:17 PM
I guess this is the piece you're talking about. It is available new (65-75 bucks)and I would be tempted to buy it instead of attempting to use one I had to remove from another car. It's got bunches of spot welds and a couple of brazed joints too.

If your spot is not too extensive, I'm with Len...make some patches from sheet stock and stick 'em in. This part, like most aftermarket stuff, would most likely require lots of fitting to make right. Although, a guy on the vintage-mustang board (lemondrop) is using a pair of repop quarters and this piece too...He said most of it fit fairly well.

SamG

http://www.dynacorn.com/site/sqlcart/images/Large/3647Z.jpg

mscog
07-28-2006, 05:42 AM
Thanks , My first choice was to just cut a couple of patches, [in each corner]instead of replacing the piece between the back window and the trunk and still have to patch the sides. I can get the whole corner at once this way. The rest of the car is in pretty good shape. Thanks for your advice and thanks for the site and forum.