PDA

View Full Version : How do you remove dried on buffing compound?

TheCoatingStore.com

36flathead
02-21-2013, 04:15 PM
I started buffing out new paint and got interrupted, the buffing compound didn't get wiped off and now it is dried on--weeks dried on. What is the best way to remove it? Is it soluble with anything? I used detailing spray with paper towels and then clay bar, which works somewhat. Any ideas/suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Len
02-21-2013, 04:51 PM
I started buffing out new paint and got interrupted, the buffing compound didn't get wiped off and now it is dried on--weeks dried on. What is the best way to remove it? Is it soluble with anything? I used detailing spray with paper towels and then clay bar, which works somewhat. Any ideas/suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Yep, some of those compounds harden like cement when they dry. I think you could use some oil and let it soak in for a while then try to wipe it. I haven't had this problem for a long time but I think vegetable oil or motor oil would work.

36flathead
02-21-2013, 06:25 PM
Yep, some of those compounds harden like cement when they dry. I think you could use some oil and let it soak in for a while then try to wipe it. I haven't had this problem for a long time but I think vegetable oil or motor oil would work.

On the way to the garage after posting the question, the thought occurred to try lacquer thinner. So I soaked a corner of a paper shop towel and it worked. Put some lacquer thinner in a spray bottle and sprayed a small area and wiped with shop towel. Worked really well. The paint is several months old so wiping immediately gets the thinner off very quickly so there is no danger of softening the paint. Rod

Len
02-21-2013, 07:49 PM
On the way to the garage after posting the question, the thought occurred to try lacquer thinner. So I soaked a corner of a paper shop towel and it worked. Put some lacquer thinner in a spray bottle and sprayed a small area and wiped with shop towel. Worked really well. The paint is several months old so wiping immediately gets the thinner off very quickly so there is no danger of softening the paint. Rod

Be careful, lacquer thinner can easily damage your paint.

xtremekustomz
02-22-2013, 05:43 PM

Isoproply alcohol mixed 1:1 with water should do the trick

Henry
02-23-2013, 12:19 PM

Try this on a sq ft before doing the panel.

Apply more of the SAME compound you used on top of the dried stuff. Massage it in lightly so its chemical can reunite with that of the dried crap. As you see it loosen or penetrate the old stuff, wipe it off then apply more of the SAME compound again and use your buffer. If it works well on a square foot area then you now know what to do. Hope it works for you.

Henry

stevejohnson48
10-03-2013, 02:06 PM
On the way to the garage after posting the question, the thought occurred to try lacquer thinner. So I soaked a corner of a paper shop towel and it worked. Put some lacquer thinner in a spray bottle and sprayed a small area and wiped with shop towel. Worked really well. The paint is several months old so wiping immediately gets the thinner off very quickly so there is no danger of softening the paint. Rod Enamel Reducer or prep sol !!? Doesn't have strength ( Destruction )or affect 8o on a PAINT JOB that LAC Thinner has ??/ Some times you can get away with soap and water on a white scotch bright pad works the best on fresh paint as long as the compound isn't burnt:?:raspberry: into the clear or single stage

Simsy27
12-15-2013, 11:41 AM
warm soapy water will take it off no probs and no possible damage to the paint any thinner will be fine and but it will take off the the polish and may leave a flatting mark which you will have to buff up.

deadbodyman
12-30-2013, 06:52 AM
Isoproply alcohol mixed 1:1 with water should do the trick

I don't see why this wouldn't work but most of the alcohol you buy at the drug store is already mixed 50% with water..try a waterborn W&G remover (mostly alcohol)
What amazed me most about water born wax and grease remover is how fantastic it removed dried on buffing compounds, wipe on wipe off...solvent based W&G wont do anything,it has to be waterborn, dont ask me why..