PDA

View Full Version : Mig welding gun travel and position, just for discussion.

TheCoatingStore.com

Blaze9t8
07-23-2006, 06:38 PM
I read this in last months ABRN about Mig welding and it seems that it is just the opposite of what I was taught when pre-testing for state certification.

Pushing a weld is when the welding gun is pointed and pushed away from the weld bead. This technique directs the heat away from the weld and produces a flatter, wider bead with less penetration. When welding thin metal where burn-through is an issue, using the push technique may be helpful. Pulling the weld is when the welding gun is pointed at and dragged away from the weld bead. This technique directs the heat of the arc at the preheated base metal and increases penetration while producing a higher, narrower bead.

Now this was for welding on sheet metal not heavier steel. I remember that pushing the weld puddle pre-heated the area ahead of the weld and resulted in better distructive testing.

Stanger
07-27-2006, 04:48 PM
I always push when I'm welding. This is for a simple reason, I can see the weld when pushing but the gun gets in the way when pulling. I can't weld something I can't see!

Blaze9t8
07-27-2006, 06:17 PM
I think we are not talking the same gun travel direction, if you are welding from left to right and the molten wire is puddling behind you to the left and the gun is on the right that is pulling. If the molten wire is puddling ahead of the gun and you are moving right to left that is pushing the weld.
Straight weld bead, gun tipped to the right moving left is pushing, gun tipped to the right moving right is pulling.

It was a really interesting article that also stated that for better plug weld penetration a 3/8" or larger hole was required. Makes sense because it is alot easier to plug the larger hole by moving around it and not just starting to weld and end up caping it off before the top metal and base metal are joined.

Stanger
07-28-2006, 03:38 PM
Yea, that is the direction I was talking about. I push, right to left(and am right-handed). I watched a welding video and this is the way they suggested doing it. They said to hold the gun at a 60 degree angle with the piece your welding, makes sense. And yes, a minimum of a 3/8" hole makes sense for plug welding as you could actually puddle the edges.