PDA

View Full Version : How can you cut and buff so soon??

TheCoatingStore.com

ToocoolZ28
11-29-2012, 04:50 PM
I am no pro but I have painted quite a few cars. I read on here that some guys cut and buff 24-48 hours after painting, I have buffed as soon as 48 hours but the gloss always seems to die after a week or so requiring another buff. Now I wait about a week after painting and I dont have the problem.
How can you guys do it so soon?
I usually use Omni brand supplies but have used just about every brand out there.

style
11-29-2012, 05:34 PM
I am no pro but I have painted quite a few cars. I read on here that some guys cut and buff 24-48 hours after painting, I have buffed as soon as 48 hours but the gloss always seems to die after a week or so requiring another buff. Now I wait about a week after painting and I dont have the problem.
I usually use Omni brand supplies but have used just about every brand out there.

gloss cant die its not possible what it sounds like is after you buff your filling in your sand marks then they come back after a wash or two..

on second thought gloss dye back can happen if you dont let your base dry enough,but ive never had it take a week..

Len
11-29-2012, 07:29 PM

Style is right, in most cases you'll find that the "die back" is being caused by NOT buffing enough because you see a glossy surface and you think you're done when in actuality you're seeing an oily filler that many polishes use to make you think you're done. Sand the finish up to 2500 or 3000 grit then use a better product like Mistic Cut or Sure Finish and you'll find that you probably won't have the die back problem.

http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/wiz11048.jpg
LINK (http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=ABS&Product_Code=WIZ11048&Category_Code=M3)

pane2k
12-10-2012, 10:09 PM

I don't have much experience with omni products to be honest, but i'd say maybe you're not using a fast enough hardener for your environment?

ChrisHamilton
12-16-2012, 08:57 AM
My 2 cents....(and my first post here:)) when I cut and buff (especially when using economy clears like Transtar etc.) I like to get it done withing the fist 18-24 hours especially if it's hot. Any longer and the economy type clears get very hard and consequently very hard to buff.As for your "die back" issue,what you are describing should not happen if you are doing everything correctly. My guess is that you are either applying the clear wrong by not following proper flash-off times or applying it in double coats which has the same effect. Also if you do not allow proper flash off time for the sealer you are using it will cause the paint to die back as well. By not allowing proper flash off time you trap solvents in that coat of paint, whether it's sealer, basecoat or clear. Although it's much more likely to happen in either the sealer or clear coats. Also make sure you are mixing correctly. by this I mean following the proper ratios. If it's 4:1 MAKE SURE it's really 4:1 not 3.5:1 or 4.5:1. You need to be exact. If not you can expect die back, especially with the economy stuff which is not nearly as forgiving as premium products. Always read the tech sheet that covers the product you are using. Mix correctly. Always observe proper flash-off times between coats. If you do this and are using the correct temperature hardener and reducers for the temps you are spraying in then you should be able to buff in 24 hours no problem and not experience any issues. (assuming you are buffing correctly).

ToocoolZ28
12-30-2012, 04:10 PM
Sorry I havent been back to this. I think Len and Style have my answer. I ALWAYS get the tech sheet for any product I use and follow directions to the letter. I usually do my final sanding with 1500 -2000 grit.
Thanks guys.