PDA

View Full Version : Pressure pots

340duster
07-19-2006, 12:57 PM
Does anyone have experience using a pressure pot.I am thinking of trying one out because of not having a cup in the way, and the ability to have more material mixed and ready to spray.What do you think of a Devilibiss GTI HVLP Model 520.

Phil V
07-19-2006, 01:29 PM
I've sprayed a couple thousand full paints with a pressure pot (years ago).

They are definately easier to handle than the cup guns but it takes more material, more time and more labor to clean the guns, the hose and the pot everytime you want to switch colors or when you're done painting for the day. You can't beat the pressure pot setups for production painting but they are kind of pain for occaisional jobs that don't include painting things the size of a semi truck and trailer.

340duster
07-19-2006, 04:08 PM
Yes that is what I thought as well the added time and expense to not only clean a larger cup(pot) but also the hose as well.

Len
07-19-2006, 11:37 PM
I've sprayed quite a few jobs using a pressure pot and I agree with Phil especially the part about cleaning the equipment. One of the fellows that frequents this board said he uses clear disposable hose for the paint hose so that he doesn't need to clean it. He does his painting then cleans the gun and pot and trashes the hose. Since the fluid hose only has a couple pounds of pressure you can get away with cheap disposable hose.

Phil V
07-20-2006, 12:16 AM
It seems like everytime I sprayed a red paint on a car wit the pressure pot setup the next paint job coming into the booth would be a white car. If the pressure pot, paint fluid hose and gun were not perfectly clean then the new white paint would come out pink (from any pevious stubborn red paint in the pot, fluid hose or gun). The same story with when I shot a high metallic silver, naturally the next paintjob coming into the booth would be a straight black. (very hard to get every fleck of silver out of the pressure pot, fluid hose and gun). So unless the those items were cleaned to perfection the new black paint would have faint flecks of silver. Every pro painter knows exactly what I'm talking about. I would still highly recommend the pressure pot setup for production painting.

My experience with pressure pot painting was with a two gallon pressure pot, not the two quart pressure pot setup where the pressure pot attaches to the painters belt and is carried by the painter (never used the 2 quart setup but I can see where it would have some advantages over the cup gun).

Len
07-20-2006, 09:11 AM
I purchased two 2 gallon pots to spray 7 car carrier, tractor trailers a few years back. We used almost $10,000 worth of paint and it tool about a week each. Luckily they were all the same color and we used unhardened acrylic enamel so we only cleaned the 50 foot hoses a couple times during the entire process. DeVilbiss makes a flushing system that is designed to clean these hoses and if I were going to use a pressure pot regularly I would probably purchase one.

Both DeVilbiss and Sharpe make good reasonably priced 2 quart systems that work quite well.

http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/shp5675.jpg
Link (http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=4S1)

Warren
07-20-2006, 09:48 AM
25 foot hoses and have never had a problem cleaning them. Use Teflon lined hoses when you are done blow the material back into the remote can that is in the pressure pot.

The idea is to not clean the pressure pot, you still may fling a bit of paint out the odd time but for the most of the time you do not need to clean the pot, you clean your cups I don't clean my pots. That saves time.

Then put thinner in a can half a litre or less, turn off the air to the gun and run the thinner through and it will flush the line and the gun coming out like a garden hose with no overspray. That will get the lines just about clean at that point. BLow that thinner into a can and use it for something else, either blow through next time or some other function. Nothing goes into the air.

Then I blow high pressure air through with a nozzle at high presure and it gets out the remainging 2 or 3 percent hanging around since I have blown it through with low usually five -15 lbs fluid pressure I find a tiny bit comes out when I put through my 150 shop pressure (yeah know it is a bit high)

If I was working like Phil I would have a pot for metallics, a pot for black a pot for clear, I have five now and I don't have any problems like transfer of metallic etc but I have seen people have those problems who use cups when they miss a smiggeon somewhere. They cost 125.00 (sandborn) 20 over years ago and are still working fine.

When I started I had stupid lines,for years I have had the best, light and flexible and high quality. 1.00 per foot for fluid and .50 for the blue 3/8 light flexible air line. I never mover the pot when I work, the ones you carry around or strap on your body why? There are alot of advantages carrying around a pot just defeats part of what it is.

At this point have done over 2,000 jobs with pressure pots and I love them. I used a cup the other day to spray latex primer, ackward and first time it spit when I leaned back it was just a reminder of why I love pressure for that and many reasons.

Warren

brucebotti
07-20-2006, 08:44 PM
I've used them for painting boats, and they work great. I wouldn't even think of using it for a car. It is a pain to clean, and we even had bags for the pot.:(
Bruce

Blaze9t8
07-21-2006, 06:54 PM
I have 2, 2 quart pressure pots with 3 foot hoses on them and use them quite often. The guns are Binks Mach 1s set up with pressure air caps and fluid tips. I attached a manual shut-off valve at the pot on the air side to turn off the air and use that to clean the fluid hose without spraying air. This moves only cleaning solvent and does so with little mess and a small amount of solvent. The set-up is like the one Len pictured. You can't beat it for painting the areas most people don't paint, behind rocker panels inside of frame rails next to the motor or trans. For color matching, forget it. Too much paint coming out. But if you like to move alot of clear this is it.