PDA

View Full Version : Final polish suggestion

TheCoatingStore.com

tbm3fan
08-28-2012, 01:42 AM
Tonight I went over the hood of my 73 Dodge that I painted yesterday. Only needed to do a little work to remove some dust nibs and a trace of orange peel. About 4 times around each section and done. Used the 1500 clear coat disc and then 3000 trizact. So my question is really what to use next. What I have is both Sure Finish and Wizards. Have the standard wool pad, the blue wool pad, orange and black pads. Also have both Makitas, the 9227 and the BO6040.

Robert
08-28-2012, 10:24 AM
Cut first with the Wizard's then switch to the BO6040 and finish with the Sure Finish.

The two products work very well together.

Take Care,
Robert

tbm3fan
08-29-2012, 12:36 AM
One last question, Robert. On the 6040 I always hear to use forced rotation. Makita calls their choices "random orbit" and "roto-orbit". Which one do I need to use?

Edit: Trying to stop your polishing video it looks like you have the rotary switch pointed forward on the BO6040 from what I can see. Can't see the speed you use.

Robert
08-30-2012, 06:20 AM
that is, the not random orbital mode. You can tell by trying to spin the pad, if you can spin the pad but not the motor that's random orbital. If the pad is locked to the motor through the planetary gears, that's forced rotation.

I almost always run at full speed. It's only 680 rpms or so anyway.

If you watch my video and the things I put up on youtube you might be able to see how thin I work the final passes as far as material goes. I like to be able to see clearly through the residue.

One last thing, if you get marring from your microfiber cloth as you're wiping the final polishing residue off the paint, and only then, you can apply your wax over the top of that residue. Remove the final residue with wax. The wax lubricates whatever abrasive might be left and getting piled up in your microfiber and scuffing and lets you get a better finish. Of course you only do this to avoid the marring, not to fill in swirls.

Take Care,
Robert