PDA

View Full Version : Foam Pads

TheCoatingStore.com

Arnolt
07-26-2012, 08:30 AM
I just bought a Makita 6040 but am not as thrilled with it as I thought I'd be for final polishing. I went back through Robert's video and look to be using it properly. I'm using a Meguires black pad and have tried both Sure Finish and Mystic Cut for final polishing. How critical is the pad choice and is there a proper way to condition and/or use it? I've been using a Makita 9227C with Mystic Cut and a wool pad after color sanding and am happy with that combination ...Thanks

Len
07-26-2012, 10:56 AM
I just bought a Makita 6040 but am not as thrilled with it as I thought I'd be for final polishing. I went back through Robert's video and look to be using it properly. I'm using a Meguires black pad and have tried both Sure Finish and Mystic Cut for final polishing. How critical is the pad choice and is there a proper way to condition and/or use it? I've been using a Makita 9227C with Mystic Cut and a wool pad after color sanding and am happy with that combination ...Thanks

I'm sorry I misread your question... As long as it's a soft foam pad and you have the rotation locked on the 6040 it should work to remove the swirls. We've been using it on our dark colors and it's been working great.

TOGWT
07-27-2012, 04:21 AM
Pad Dependency

Any abrasive polish and pad combination is only as fine as its coarsest component. All abrasive polishes are ‘foam pad and applied pressure dependant’ as far as their paint correction abilities are concerned. Any abrasive / pad combination is reliant upon its most abrasive component.

It may require a two-stage polishing to remove the scratches (Meguiars Soft Buff 2.0 Foam Cutting Pad (W7207) and then the Black finishing pad

Robert
07-27-2012, 08:47 AM
When I'm colorsanding, I cut with wool on the rotary to start then use the BO6040 to remove my swirls. For typical detailing the Makita will sometimes make it a one step operation using an orange foam pad or even a wool pad - typically foamed wool or electrified sheep skin - not twisted wool.

My go to pad is the orange foam. There are very few times when I can't get a mar free finish - not to mention no swirls or other defects with the combination of that pad and the BO6040.

All the best,
Robert