PDA

View Full Version : Paint Meters- Waste of time?

TheCoatingStore.com

dlmrun2002
07-17-2012, 07:38 AM
I am getting different opinions on paint meters. I really am looking to getting a read on the clear coat thickness instead of the "total paint' thickness for detailing purposes and I really don't see how a paint meter can read separate layer readings. Thanks in advance.

dlm ny country

Len
07-17-2012, 09:34 AM
I am getting different opinions on paint meters. I really am looking to getting a read on the clear coat thickness instead of the "total paint' thickness for detailing purposes and I really don't see how a paint meter can read separate layer readings. Thanks in advance.

dlm ny country

The only way a magnetic gauge can do the job would be to measure before and after the clear goes on then subtract the before reading from the after reading. I believe that the same would be true for an electronic device but I've never used one so I don't know for sure.

dlmrun2002
07-17-2012, 08:00 PM
I'll safe my money then. I was looking for some help in detailing some thin coated factory paint jobs. Thanks Len.
dlm

Len
07-17-2012, 08:09 PM
I'll safe my money then. I was looking for some help in detailing some thin coated factory paint jobs. Thanks Len.
dlm

You're right, save your money because a magnetic gauge is only going to measure all of the coating that is on the metal. The total thickness of the primer, base and clear will be measured.

TOGWT
07-20-2012, 03:46 AM
Painters apply paint, detailers try not to remove too much -

PosiTector® 200 Coating Thickness Gauge - non-destructively measures a wide variety of applications using proven ultrasound technology. Advanced models measure up to 3 individual layer thicknesses in a multi-layer system and features a graphic readout for detailed analysis of the coating system. (Approx. $2500)

An extract from the article“Paint Thickness Gauge (PTG)” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-detailing/137139-paint-thickness-gauge-ptg.html#post1454624 I hope the information in this article is of some help to you. If you have any further questions please let me know