PDA

View Full Version : '72 GTO project

williams772
05-25-2012, 10:16 PM
Got a new project, not really started yet. Should be fun.

9246 9247

Len
05-26-2012, 07:12 AM
Unless you know how the previous repairs were done I'd recommend that you strip that car and re-repair any potential problems. I'd hate to see you invest all the time and labor into a paint job and have the metal fail shortly after you've finished.

carcrazy
05-26-2012, 03:00 PM
Great car! Hope you enjoy it. Do you spend time on the Performance Years forum? Tons of Pontiac information there.

In my mind, stripping it down to metal is always the right thing to do unless you are intimately familiar with what has already been done (i.e. first hand knowledge). For example, the project car I picked up a few years ago (62 Pontiac GP) was in primer and looked pretty damn good in all the pictures. It also looked good in person. I was told that all rust had been removed and the car was now all metal! What he really meant was "All Metal" the bondo! There was also surface rust under the primer. Had I top coated this I would have regretted it in short order.

williams772
05-26-2012, 04:54 PM
The car actually looks ALOT better in the pics than it is. Somebody before current owner put in lower quarter panels, done not too bad. The current owner has done what you see here himself but under the guidance of a local painter, 80+ years old, that didn't want to do it but didn't mind helping the guy out. The material used on it so far is all PPG from the same shop I use. All things considered it still needs plenty of work but there's plenty to work with if that makes sense. This is a side job for me at home and I know my limits but I fully intend to be proud of it when I'm done and hopefully the owner is too.

williams772
05-26-2012, 05:04 PM
Here's some pics the guy had from before. As you can see he changed the nose and hood to a '70 model.

9256 9257 9258