PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars M105 & M205

TheCoatingStore.com

xtremekustomz
03-25-2012, 09:39 PM
Had the opportunity of using these on some fresh paint with 1500 grit sanding scratches with the Meguiars Maroon compounding pad and the yellow polishing pad. I must say I was thoroughly impressed. The M105 removed the sanding scratches with only one pass and finished the clear out like it was polished. I had been using 3m compound which worked pretty good but nothing compared to this. You can even use a DA polisher with a foam cutting pad and remove 1500 grit scratches. Think I'm gonna see if I can get ahold of some M101 here pretty soon.

QuickXR
03-26-2012, 04:52 AM
Yeah i just used it on my wife's Mustang i'm repainting. It works quick, great on black. The M105 took out the scracthes quickly, the M205 polished to a mirror finish. I tried the Surefinish that Len sells here, didn't like it at all. Seemed to watered down, took forever to get anywhere.

tomsteve
03-26-2012, 08:49 AM
i've been using the twin for about 5 years now. they are great even on old paint. detailed a 96 explorer about a month ago that i dont think ever saw a coat of wax. surprised the clearcoat wasnt falling off anywhere. anyways, after claying the whole truck, a pass with a rotary, wool pad, and 105, i switched to my porter cable 7424 with an orange pad and the 105, tyhen a pass with the 7424, orange pad and 205. a coat of wax and the owners were shocked! the only scratches i couldnt get out were the ones through the clear.

Len
03-26-2012, 10:36 AM
i've been using the twin for about 5 years now. they are great even on old paint. detailed a 96 explorer about a month ago that i dont think ever saw a coat of wax. surprised the clearcoat wasnt falling off anywhere. anyways, after claying the whole truck, a pass with a rotary, wool pad, and 105, i switched to my porter cable 7424 with an orange pad and the 105, tyhen a pass with the 7424, orange pad and 205. a coat of wax and the owners were shocked! the only scratches i couldnt get out were the ones through the clear.

We also sell Meguiars products as well as other compounds and polishes. We've tried a lot of others but when we polish most of our high-end work we use Sure Finish because of it's working characteristics. We've found that most other polishes tend to HIDE swirls and scratches with their lubricant and you can't tell if the scratches are gone until the oils are removed from the surface. With Sure Finish you won't have this problem as much because it has less lubricants to fill the scratches. Yes, Sure Finish may take a little longer but you only need one product from beginning to end other than a wax or polymer you may choose to protect the finish.

http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/mglm10532.jpg
LINK (http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=ABS&Product_Code=MGLM100532&Category_Code=M3)

tomsteve
03-26-2012, 03:28 PM
and with everything else ya sell, the best price i have seen. i know where i'll be ordering it from next time!

Len
03-26-2012, 04:53 PM
and with everything else ya sell, the best price i have seen. i know where i'll be ordering it from next time!

If you go to the Paint Shop/Polishing/Materials page in the store you can see the prices for quarts and gallons of both products.

xtremekustomz
03-27-2012, 04:04 PM
Something interesting happened. I sanded the side of a vehicle down with some 1500 wet and ran over it with the M105 on the maroon pad and with my halogens on all the sanding scratches were taken out. The vehicle sat in my garage over night and after I got home from work the next day I turned the halogens back on and I could see sanding scratches all down the side. I hadn't washed the vehicle or ran back over it with anything. I then sanded with 2000 and it still didn't take them all out. The 3m I had been using never gave me issues like this. Would a wool pad be better suited for this compound?

QuickXR
03-28-2012, 03:39 PM
Something interesting happened. I sanded the side of a vehicle down with some 1500 wet and ran over it with the M105 on the maroon pad and with my halogens on all the sanding scratches were taken out. The vehicle sat in my garage over night and after I got home from work the next day I turned the halogens back on and I could see sanding scratches all down the side. I hadn't washed the vehicle or ran back over it with anything. I then sanded with 2000 and it still didn't take them all out. The 3m I had been using never gave me issues like this. Would a wool pad be better suited for this compound?

I use a wool pad with the M105. I've never had the issue you are. Was it fresh paint? My clear had cured for a couple weeks before cut and buff.

Len
03-28-2012, 05:41 PM
I use a wool pad with the M105. I've never had the issue you are. Was it fresh paint? My clear had cured for a couple weeks before cut and buff.

Using a wool pad or waiting longer will make little or no difference, what you're seeing is the lubricant evaporating and the scratches reappearing. If you continue to use this type of product you will learn how long you need to buff before the lubricant isn't as much of a factor.

statestreetautobody
04-06-2012, 02:31 AM
used diamond cut for years until i found the ultra cut. love the stuff! best compound i have found thus far. use it with a wool pad and follow that up with speed glaze on a foam pad. i have noticed scratches coming back if i don't compound long enough but that seems to been true with any compound i've used over the years. i'll have to try some 205 next time i order glaze