PDA

View Full Version : "Polymer" between polish and wax?

TheCoatingStore.com

TR3_Nut
12-29-2011, 10:35 AM
Just watched Robert's Video. Excellent product and well worth the money!!
After polish with wool and two foam pads, Robert applies a polymer prior to carnuba wax. What is the polymer? Examples of commercial products that I can purchase? Thanks much.

Pat

QuickXR
12-29-2011, 03:15 PM
I'd like to know this aswell too. I've seen many different brands, but would like to use what Robert used in the video.

I'd also like to know what cleaner was in the sprayer for the floor mats he did, cleaned up real well.

Bill in NJ
01-03-2012, 04:00 PM
I would like to know the answer also

LS6
01-05-2012, 01:11 AM
After polish with wool and two foam pads, Robert applies a polymer prior to carnuba wax. What is the polymer? Examples of commercial products that I can purchase? Thanks much.

Pat

Here's an opinion on both polymers and carnuba waxes .......... http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia-detailing-wiki/138263-polymers-carnauba-wax-differences.html
LS6

Len
01-05-2012, 07:49 AM

Pat

I just talked to Robert about this and he told me that he doesn't use both any longer, he now uses one or the other but mostly uses just a good carnuba wax.

TOGWT
01-06-2012, 06:48 AM
This may be of some interest "Why use a wax on top of a polymer sealant?" - http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-detailing/136406-why-use-wax-top-polymer-sealant.html

dlmrun2002
01-09-2012, 07:44 AM
I just talked to Robert about this and he told me that he doesn't use both any longer, he now uses one or the other but mostly uses just a good carnuba wax.

I wonder why Rob switched. He needs to update the DVD. lol
dlm ny country

QuickXR
01-09-2012, 01:47 PM
I wonder why Rob switched. He needs to update the DVD. lol
dlm ny country
Yeah really or atleast respond and let us know why he switched.

Robert
02-07-2012, 12:29 PM
There's no problem putting a coat of carnuba over the top of a decent polymer but over the last few years polymers have improved in terms of the gloss so the difference isn't as great as it was when I did the video. Also, polymers take awhile to really lock down so if you use a cleaner/wax - which I didn't and still don't - some if not most of the polymer will be removed with the second step.

When I'm doing a car that's going to be outside, particularly in Palm Springs or someplace that gets really hot, I don't trust carnuba to be stable enough to stand up to that kind of heat. So, I use polymer.

A few years ago I had a client who had me wash his driving cars twice a week on Monday and Thursday and detail his drivers every three months. Needless to say, when it came time to detail I had to look for work, so, I took off license plates, cleaned with Q-tips around lenses, got up under the dash and all through the engine compartments and wheel wells and I charged accordingly. He was happy with the level of care and with the price so I could have just let it be but that's not the way I work.

I started thinking I was wasting his money doing things that really didn't need to be done every time. Cleaning behind license plates is good enough once a year for example and getting around the lenses with a Q-tip or not makes no difference after the first car wash. So, when it came up that I had two of his cars to do on the same day I did one using my standard procedure and the other with the idea that if I didn't expect there to be any difference after the first car wash I wouldn't take that particular step.

When I got done I asked him to come out and look at his cars and explained that I hadn't taken the same amount of time on both cars and I was interested to see if he could spot any difference at all. He took his time and looked them both over and told me he couldn't tell which was which. So, I told him that from that point on I wouldn't be doing some of the things I had been, or I would do them but less frequently and that the charge was going down a hundred dollars per detail to reflect the difference in the time I'd be spending. He said he appreciated my looking out for him but to do the cars using the new procedure but keep the charge where it was.

I approach every detail thinking, how can I do this, better, faster and easier. I used to find ways to improve things all the time, now, I try new products and techniques all the time but the differences, improvements aren't as often or as dramatic as they were when I started out but still, I keep looking. I think I get a bigger kick out of finding something now, since at this point I've been looking for it for thirty freakin years!

One of the things I started doing lately is this: When I'm doing windows, I get my cloths ready, then I put on knit and rubber gloves. The cloth sticks to the gloves and makes cleaning windows a whole lot easier.

All the best,
Robert