PDA

View Full Version : What Base Coat for Candy

jhawkbb
07-06-2006, 10:06 AM
I am doing some experimenting on a test panel before painting motorcycle. I am trying to get a very dark purple color, almost black look. I saw the color I am trying for on a custom car of Billy Gibbons (ZZtop), it was a 49 Cadillac called Cadzilla. From 20' away it looked black but when you got closer it was a dark purple.
As I said doing test panel now, using Auto Air paint. So far I have tried:
1. Sprayed Base Coat Sealer dark (black) then shot 4 coats of purple candy. This seemed to be too dark couldn't see the purple even up close. I haven't cleared this, so maybe the purple would come out after clearing. Got any ideas?
2. Sprayed base coat of silver then shot 7 or 8 coats of candy purple. This is to light. Even with all these coats the purple is to bright.

Any ideas on what else I can try?

Thanks
Larry

isprayum
07-06-2006, 11:08 AM
just find a regular base color in the dark purple area. theres plenty of them. youre not gonna achieve it with candy

Serge
07-06-2006, 12:02 PM
I work with House of Kolor...

Choose a dark metalic base...Metor Maroon works well under Purple kandy. You need a metalic under there to bring up the kandy color in the sun. Put at least 6 coats of kandy over the meteor maroon and it will look almost black in the shade and will lightup a deep purple in the sun...cool...

The trick is to have a darker base and a deep kandy. You could also use some MBC03 (Black diamond) under the kandy, this is a black sprakling base, very nice with some kandy on it. That will give you a black effect with some giltter in the sun...

Hope this helps,

Serge

jhawkbb
07-06-2006, 02:57 PM
Thanks Serge. I just shot clear on test panel, had silver metalic on 1/2 of it and black base coat on other 1/2. Shot 1/2 of each with purple candy and with black cherry candy. Shot 6 coats of candy, don't know that is enough. I will sand clear tomorrow and see how it looks. Then may strip and try someting different.
Larry