PDA

View Full Version : Colorsanding question.....

Kerry
11-25-2011, 07:20 PM
OK guys I'm new but I am a bit confused colorsanding vs clearcoatsanding. I have heard both terms from various sources, meaning simular procedures. I was under the impression that color sanding meant sanded the color coat and clearcoat sanding was sanding the clear coat, the final sand, and then go to buff out. Is that accurate? Sanding the color BEFORE the clear is applied, then apply the clear, then sand the clear, then buffing out? If so, what grid/s do you suggest sanding the "color". I have found plenty of suggestions on the clear, 1,200 to 4,000 wet...sound right? thanks!

Len
11-25-2011, 08:44 PM
OK guys I'm new but I am a bit confused colorsanding vs clearcoatsanding. I have heard both terms from various sources, meaning simular procedures. I was under the impression that color sanding meant sanded the color coat and clearcoat sanding was sanding the clear coat, the final sand, and then go to buff out. Is that accurate? Sanding the color BEFORE the clear is applied, then apply the clear, then sand the clear, then buffing out? If so, what grid/s do you suggest sanding the "color". I have found plenty of suggestions on the clear, 1,200 to 4,000 wet...sound right? thanks!

Color sanding and clear coat sanding are the same process of sanding prior to buffing. You don't sand the color before clearing.

Kerry
11-25-2011, 08:59 PM
Color sanding and clear coat sanding are the same process of sanding prior to buffing. You don't sand the color before clearing.

Thanks Len! So I guess if I have a bad spot on my color coat, go ahead and fix it (before the clear is applied), then apply clear, sand and buff? If not the clear should magnafy the error in the color? Correct? Thanks

Len
11-25-2011, 09:06 PM
Thanks Len! So I guess if I have a bad spot on my color coat, go ahead and fix it (before the clear is applied), then apply clear, sand and buff? If not the clear should magnafy the error in the color? Correct? Thanks

Whether or not you need to correct your color/base coat depends on the problem. If your base is a solid color and it's showing some sanding scratches then the clear will probably hide them but if it's more serious you may need to correct the problem, apply more base then clear. Anytime you need to sand on your base usually means you'll need to apply more base over the repair.

TOGWT
11-27-2011, 05:02 AM
Years ago it was called colour sanding because automotive paints were single-stage (primer and a colour coat) and when the finish faded from ultra violet radiation (UV-B) exposure, sanding off the oxidized paint thereby exposing the underlying paint would bring back the paint surface colour.