PDA

View Full Version : Props to Sure Finish

TheCoatingStore.com

studebaker
10-27-2011, 05:40 PM
I have to give props to the Sure Finish I got from Len.
I had used it a year or so ago and was sold on it then.
We just finished a 70 Jagure XKE and buffed it out, I was unhappy with the final look and told my painter that it was just not good enough. This was a black Jag. So I ordered some Sure Finish and pads from Len, all the while my paint guy fussing with me that I was wasting time and money on it :)
Anyway, got it in and now the guy tells me that he is sold on Sure Finish ;)

Henry
10-28-2011, 09:29 AM
I have to give props to the Sure Finish I got from Len.
I had used it a year or so ago and was sold on it then.
We just finished a 70 Jagure XKE and buffed it out, I was unhappy with the final look and told my painter that it was just not good enough. This was a black Jag. So I ordered some Sure Finish and pads from Len, all the while my paint guy fussing with me that I was wasting time and money on it :)
Anyway, got it in and now the guy tells me that he is sold on Sure Finish ;)

It works well if done correctly. The right pads make all the difference.
I was a little skeptical my first try thinking this ONE liquid is going to do it all for me? I did fail to make it work one time because the wool pad I started with was contaminated with another product that got loosened contradicted what the Sure Finish needed to do.

Sounds like you used it right and glad for your success. Henry

TR3_Nut
10-28-2011, 10:08 AM
Just received my quart of Surefinish last night and the Orange and Black pads. Can someone describe best way to use this product under two scenarios? 1) I want to buff my wifes car - paint in good shape but needs a good polish before waxing, very minor oxidation (mercedes C230). 2) I want to color sand and buff. In that case, I'll be finishing with Trizac 3000 grit before I start buffing. Using a Milwaukee rotary buffer. Just need a few tips on how to do this. I will buy the detailing video but just shot my wad on the AutoVantage sander, expensive trizac paper, and Surfinish system. Thanks much.

Pat

Henry
10-28-2011, 11:19 AM
Just received my quart of Surefinish last night and the Orange and Black pads. Can someone describe best way to use this product under two scenarios? 1) I want to buff my wifes car - paint in good shape but needs a good polish before waxing, very minor oxidation (mercedes C230). 2) I want to color sand and buff. In that case, I'll be finishing with Trizac 3000 grit before I start buffing. Using a Milwaukee rotary buffer. Just need a few tips on how to do this. I will buy the detailing video but just shot my wad on the AutoVantage sander, expensive trizac paper, and Surfinish system. Thanks much.

Pat

The best way is with LOTS of caution. First off is if the car has original paint you need to rethink sanding it with anything. Some would say to wash it with DAWN dishwashing soap, then claybar then just buff.
On weathered cars, especially those that sat under trees and have signs of that green mold crap, I have my own way for the past 20 years that does not fail (for me). I would start at the bottom of the car (making sure there is not sand/dirt) and spray Wesley's Blech-White on a DRY surface. Spray an area say below the molding between the front and rear tires. Have a bucket of clean water and a good sponge. Dip the wet sponge in the water and wring it out still leaving some water in it and rub the area you sprayed. Now you can dip the sponge again to clean it and this time dip it leaving a lot of water and just run over the same area to create a better rinse of what you just cleaned.
Next do the front fender SIDE (not the top yet) starting at the low section working upward. Working upward is to CONTROL your cleaning. If you sprayed at the top it would only run down the side of the car not allowing you to know where you clean with the sponge because now every thing is wet. Now move to the 2 doors and do the same way then the quarter. Now you can take a hose with NO spray nozzle and rinse the side but don't get areas you've not cleaned get wet.

Move to the other side and do the same thing. Then the decklid and back of the car, again starting at the bottom. Then the frontend and the hood and finally the roof (or half the roof and half the hood) but the idea is to clean the areas dry and don' get ahead of yourself. You don't want the product to dry and if does just spray a little more Bleche-White on, use the wet sponge and keep going. DON'T do this in the sun as the spray will dry before you get a chance to do proper cleaning. When done, hose the entire car off.

With the car dry again, you can begin your buffing. I would use a wool pad (season the pad) and bring the paint back to like new. Then switch to a foam pad. When done buffing it is important to use a microfiber cloth and complete to a high gloss like new finish.

Many will frown on this but I have done it on probably 100+ cars in about 20 years. It works! THERE IS NO BLEACH in this stuff only in the name which is spelled differently than Bleach. I've used this stuff on interior seats, carpets, engine bays and NEVER had a problem. If in doubt, anyone reading this can try it on some old part to see the results. Try it on an old lawn mower that's been sitting under a tree for 5 years and make that look new again. Spray that and use a brush after the spray.

Below is a link to Robert actually sanding OEM factory paint (very gingerly). You can watch what he does on orignal paint but keep in mind he is a PROFESSIONAL at this. I strongly urge you NOT to sand the paint on the Benz - because you just dont have to. Henry

http://www.autobodystore.com/rsw.shtml

This link is from the CLASSROOM available from the HOME page.

TR3_Nut
10-28-2011, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the helpful reply Henry

I wasn't very clear in my questions. I was just going to clay bar and buff the Mercedes. No color sanding on that car.

I am doing some car painting and want to color sand and use the Sure Finish system to buff those parts.

two separate projects. Planning on using Sure Finish on each.

pat

Len
10-28-2011, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the helpful reply Henry

I wasn't very clear in my questions. I was just going to clay bar and buff the Mercedes. No color sanding on that car.

I am doing some car painting and want to color sand and use the Sure Finish system to buff those parts.

two separate projects. Planning on using Sure Finish on each.

pat

Unlike most other compounds Sure Finish is NOT a "diminishing abrasive" IOW it doesn't break down as you use it and thereby it can be reactivated on the pad by spraying a little water on the car as you buff. We usually wet the pad prior to buffing then spray water on the surface as needed. Unlike other polishes you shouldn't be throwing polish all over the place and, if you are throwing it, you're probably using too much. A quart of Sure Finish should last for at least two or three cars.

Tincup
11-09-2011, 03:58 PM
I just finished buffing my car with Sure Finish I got from Len and was very pleased with how it worked. I used about a quarter size dab and worked a 1ft x 1ft area and it came out great. Just a little more swirl than my 3m compound, but did cut faster. All in all, very happy.

Henry
11-10-2011, 11:01 AM
I just finished buffing my car with Sure Finish I got from Len and was very pleased with how it worked. I used about a quarter size dab and worked a 1ft x 1ft area and it came out great. Just a little more swirl than my 3m compound, but did cut faster. All in all, very happy.

get more swirl or a lot of swirl. In playing with Sure Finish, I used the (seasoned) wool pad on a sanded area until any peel was gone. That alone let me minimal swirl but a deep gloss. THen, on the same small area I applied a short ribbon of SF and tried the 'orange pad' Looked better. Then did the same thing with the black foam and the area was great.
Next and important is wipe the area with a microfiber cloth.

You should not be getting the swirl you're getting (of course we can't see what you see) so check your step. Make sure you just don't need a little more SF and need more buffing on the area you are speaking of. Henry