PDA

View Full Version : The history of rotary polishers.

TheCoatingStore.com

TOGWT
10-09-2011, 05:43 AM
I writing an article "A Brief History of Detailing" and would like to trace the history of rotary polishers.

Thanks to Superior Shine I have some info - 1916 - Van Dorn Electric Tool Co. Cleveland, OH, U.S.A. This company seems to have evolved out of Van Dorn & Dutton Co., which dates back to 1910 and probably earlier. Sometime between 1916 and 1923 the name changed to Van Dorn Electric Tool Co. In 1928 they were acquired by Black & Decker, although the Van Dorn name seems to have survived into the early 1930s.

Any information would be appreciated

Dennis N. Schmidt
10-09-2011, 08:37 PM
During the 50's 60's and 70's Sioux was the electric polisher of choice in autobody. They no longer exist as an American manufacturng company but they made without a doubt the best electric polisher of that era.

Henry
10-10-2011, 08:37 AM
During the 50's 60's and 70's Sioux was the electric polisher of choice in autobody. They no longer exist as an American manufacturng company but they made without a doubt the best electric polisher of that era.

Very heavy machine. Did work very well, lasted and I still have one. What is your favorite now? Henry

Dennis N. Schmidt
10-10-2011, 12:46 PM
I think the Makita is the best. I've got the Milwaukee (the most heavy duty but heavy and quite loud) Hitachi (sort of a Makita clone) and both the previous model and new model DeWalts, the one they've just introduced in the last two months, which is made in China. All in all I think the Makita is the best of the polishers available. I also have a Metabo which is sort of a compact model and doesn’t use a full size buffing wheel. It’s limited to about 6 inch pads. Don’t have a Flex but from what I can see it’s more or less equivalent to the Metabo.

I use to always buy Milwaukee tools as they were made in America and avoided Makita as they are Japanese. Now the only tools not made in China are Makita with all of Milwaukee's tools and everybody elses made in China. Since I'd rather buy Jap than Red Chinese I now typically go Makita. A sorry state of affairs.

SamG
10-11-2011, 02:45 PM
I wasn't aware that Sioux was gone...at least as an American company. One of the best orbital sanders I've ever owned was a Sioux

I had two and finally gave them both away. A little heavy but tough as nails. i see they are still available, but expensive. Maybe old stock?

I spotted a couple on Ebay sold as Snap On/Sioux...wonder if SnapOn bought the name?

SamG

Edit: Yes, I see that SnapOn does indeed own the Sioux name now.