PDA

View Full Version : Sandblasting Helmet/Lens

TheCoatingStore.com

hollister22nh
07-03-2006, 05:18 PM
Where can I find a sandblast mask that doesn't suck? I want one with a lens that will last months, not minutes. I've bought two el cheapo masks and the lens goes to hell within 15 minutes. My solution so far is to cut up pieces of plexiglass and replace them constantly, but its really slowing me down.

-John

jmoffett
07-03-2006, 08:25 PM
I just bought a hood at a surplus tool store that has a snap-in helmet to hold the hood in place, and a piece of window screen over the plexiglass lens. You can see through the screen, but the media doesn't touch the lens.

Fried Balony
07-13-2006, 01:16 AM
Just curious? What kind of breathing aparatus do you use and what media? I was thinking of getting a sandblaster but chickened-out due to silica in the lungs. Thanks for any info!

Stan (in NC)
07-13-2006, 03:38 PM
I use the Hobby Air II with a full hood. I have one hood for sandblasting and one hood for painting. I use the lens protectors on both hoods.

jedrph
10-03-2006, 10:51 PM
I got a canvas hood from tractor supply. It has the mesh over the window, however I still need to replace the lens after a day of blasting. Also, I'd avoid silica media if possible. I really like using garnet. no long term side effects as seen with sand and aluminum oxide. It's cheaper than glass beads/al oxide too. I've reused mine lots of times, so good wear as well. It is fairly aggressive, so you proabably don't want to use it on softer areas. I got some walnut shells for my delicate parts.

AlexeiVT
10-04-2006, 11:08 AM
W/ my suppiled air pump and hose, I use an MSA mask w/ their snap in welding lens attachment. I swapped out the welding lens, and used some glass cut to shape (I just cut up old windows I've found on the side of the road for discard...spend 10 minutes cutting some up, so I have a stack of 30 on hand for replacement, which takes a few seconds).

The glass is going to hold up far longer than plastic...it's kind of scary one way or the other, how much stuff managesto bounce back at your head even when you angle the blast force in the other direction.

Before switching to the welding attachment, I did also make my own lens protectors, by cutting the appropriately sized ovals from thicker transparency sheets, and double stick taping them to the lens...But, in the end, the glass works much better (provided you have the attachment).

There may be other manufacturers w/ similar setups...but, I opted for searching an online auction site, since many of these things are available as surplus, in fine functioning condition, for a fraction of what they cost new...a bit of ingenuity in selecting a few choice fittings to make the transition between hose and mask, and you can find a way to make things work.

Shreck
10-05-2006, 06:54 PM
I also used the glass, I did the plastic shields too, but they only last seconds since I needed to be in close when I was blasting underneath the car. I also used a very good filters on my breathing mask.

I used the old school welding googles and put sticky foam around the edges where they make contact with the face. With this setup I can go for hours without the full face shiel fogging up all the time. Use of a head scarf is good too, but in the end I went to the fabric store and bought some material like they use to make light wind breakers and made a full head mask with the eyes and nose cut out, like bank robbers use.

In the picture below you can see how low this car is to the ground. Even up on stands and blocks it still seemed to close for sand blasting.

glassdistribution
02-25-2013, 11:11 PM
Where can I find a sandblast mask that doesn't suck? I want one with a lens that will last months, not minutes. I've bought two el cheapo masks and the lens goes to hell within 15 minutes. My solution so far is to cut up pieces of plexiglass and replace them constantly, but its really slowing me down.

-John

all sandblasting masks are good.. chenging the lens will be your solution but you dont have to change it every 15 mnts you can use glass instead of plexiglass, glass last longer strong sandblasting companies use glass
but at the end of the day u will replace it to if you work alot.

Len
02-26-2013, 09:02 AM
Use a "lens protector" like the ones used with the Hobbyair masks. If they aren't available for your mask then just buy the Hobbyair protectors and cut them down to size and tape them over the lens.

http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/ax13011.png
LINK (http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=ABS&Product_Code=AX13011&Category_Code=HP)