PDA

View Full Version : From a "Newbie" : How To Correctly Sand out Specks & Fisheyes in Clearcoat

TheCoatingStore.com

soundhd
10-05-2011, 05:15 AM
I had some chip repair work done on classic car a couple years ago. Paint is black. Repairs were done on the hood & front fenders. Repairs were done at a very small local "custom" paint shop.....basically was a one man shop and he did everything. Anyway the day he shot the clear he was not feeling very good I was told and something got either in the airline or the sprayer (for some reason he did the fenders & hood at different times during the day..?). Anyway after it was discovered (basically when I came by to look it over) he told me to bring it back in a few days (did not have the room to keep it there...small shop) and he would wet sand/and buffer the problem spots out (white specks and very small fish eyes in the clear coat).............well he had a heart attack and passed away a couple days later.
So I would like to try and fix it myself and would like to try and find out the best way and products to use to wet sand and buff the trouble areas to correct the problem. I have just purchased a larger used air compressor (5 hp/single stage/60 gallon tank). Also received a Makita polisher/sander kit last christmas. Was told to use a auto paint finishing random orital sander. Just not sure which sanding pads to use, etc......been looking at the 3M products, Trizact products and the perfectit polishes & glazes.
Any help would be appreicated.

A "Newbie" in Michigan

Len
10-05-2011, 08:29 PM
I had some chip repair work done on classic car a couple years ago. Paint is black. Repairs were done on the hood & front fenders. Repairs were done at a very small local "custom" paint shop.....basically was a one man shop and he did everything. Anyway the day he shot the clear he was not feeling very good I was told and something got either in the airline or the sprayer (for some reason he did the fenders & hood at different times during the day..?). Anyway after it was discovered (basically when I came by to look it over) he told me to bring it back in a few days (did not have the room to keep it there...small shop) and he would wet sand/and buffer the problem spots out (white specks and very small fish eyes in the clear coat).............well he had a heart attack and passed away a couple days later.
So I would like to try and fix it myself and would like to try and find out the best way and products to use to wet sand and buff the trouble areas to correct the problem. I have just purchased a larger used air compressor (5 hp/single stage/60 gallon tank). Also received a Makita polisher/sander kit last christmas. Was told to use a auto paint finishing random orital sander. Just not sure which sanding pads to use, etc......been looking at the 3M products, Trizact products and the perfectit polishes & glazes.
Any help would be appreicated.

A "Newbie" in Michigan

If you have a "good" palm sander you can use 1500 Trizact then 3000 Trizact then polish with a variable speed polisher. If you don't have a good palm sander then I'd recommend using a soft block (http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=ABS&Product_Code=3m5526&Category_Code=T) with some 1500 wet and 2500 wet sandpaper (http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=ABS&Category_Code=M3) before polishing. However, you may end up repainting if it doesn't come out well. I would think that you could do it yourself and get a better result.