PDA

View Full Version : Time to Wetsand?

CRC
08-30-2011, 05:02 PM
I have been working on a black 07 Suburban that is heavily swirled. Starting with only one panel to find my process, I buffed it with a rotary using a wool pad and Sure Finish. Next, I went over it with a 6040, an orange pad & Sure Finish. Result not good. Still has some swirl, blotchy areas, and residue that's difficult to remove. If I repeated the process it might work, but I don't want to do that on the whole vehicle. Thinking of wetsanding with 3000 grit Trizact. Anyone know if Sure Finish will easily remove those scratches? Any other idea's?

Len
08-30-2011, 05:12 PM
If what you have is "swirls" that were caused by buffing they should come out quickly using the 6040 in the forced rotation (locked) position and Sure Finish Polish. We are polishing show cars regularly after we sand with 1500 and 3000 grit Trizact and we don't have a swirl problem. Make sure the 6040 rotation is locked.

CRC
08-30-2011, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the quick reply Len. The 6040 was definetly locked in the rotate position and I've used it alot with excellent results. The Suburban belongs to a customer that owns a limosine company and I found out after I posted this thread that his guy buffed it with Mequires 105. I think that's their heaviest cut compound. I don't know what grit that is, but I don't think I'm dealing with the usual swirl. I've always had good results with Sure Finish but I'm thinking this situation is beyond it and I may need more than 3000 grit Trizact to correct it. What do you think?

Len
08-30-2011, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the quick reply Len. The 6040 was definetly locked in the rotate position and I've used it alot with excellent results. The Suburban belongs to a customer that owns a limosine company and I found out after I posted this thread that his guy buffed it with Mequires 105. I think that's their heaviest cut compound. I don't know what grit that is, but I don't think I'm dealing with the usual swirl. I've always had good results with Sure Finish but I'm thinking this situation is beyond it and I may need more than 3000 grit Trizact to correct it. What do you think?

I'm not a Meguires fan so I don't know the working characteristics of 105. I would probably do a little sanding with 3000 grit Trizact and polish it again to see the result and it that doesn't do it then start with 1500 before hitting it with the 3000 and polish.

Henry
08-31-2011, 08:42 AM

I think your problem was the Mequires along with anything else someone put on the surface not allowing the Sure Finish or other products NOT to work. Here is something that happened to me and had me scratching my head.

I was helping my buddy at his shop to sand and buff a car with 50% new paint. The car was so dirty, he ran it through a carwash and told them no waxes sprays, etc. Well I had a hard time making Sure Finish work and this is when I was first experimenting with SF. There must have been some spray polish or other crap still in the lines from the car before but I could not get the SF to cut. My pad was sort of gliding over the surface. One reason was I used the same wool pad I had another product in.
I had to wash the surface clean and used dawn for dishes, rinsed and dried the car. THEN I buffed with the SF and it cut like it always did. Then went to the 'orange' pad with foam for polish then a microfiber cloth.

Result to this was great results to a problem like you describe. Henry

Dennis N. Schmidt
09-01-2011, 09:06 PM
I agree that washing the car first with DAWN (and I'm being specific here) DAWN dishwashing soap is always the first thing to do prior to buffing.

The Meguires 105 is suppose to be decent stuff so I don't think it's the core problem. Glazing and dressings filled with silicon make the car smooth and in this case make the car too slippery to be cut.

The easiest way to figure out what you're up against is this:

Wet sand a one square foot area with P1500 with water having some DAWN dishwashing soap in it.
Follow this with P2000 wet sand.
Try the Sure-Finish and the wool pad.
Go to the Makita and the orange pad.
If the damn thing doesn't now look like a diamond something is really screwey.