PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars 105 and 205...

Dan C
08-16-2011, 11:52 PM
anybody here have any experience with these two products...good/bad?

Thanks,
Dan

tomsteve
08-17-2011, 07:52 AM
i use it with a p.c.7424 and an orange pad. i use the p.c. because i'm a greenhorn and dont want to mess up a new paint job with a rotary buffer. i wet sand to 2000, then go to it. it takes me a lot of work, have to apply a lot of pressure, and do 2 passes. having good lighting helps greatly. i get pretty darn good results, but theres a lot of physical labor involved.

Len
08-17-2011, 08:06 AM
i use it with a p.c.7424 and an orange pad. i use the p.c. because i'm a greenhorn and dont want to mess up a new paint job with a rotary buffer. i wet sand to 2000, then go to it. it takes me a lot of work, have to apply a lot of pressure, and do 2 passes. having good lighting helps greatly. i get pretty darn good results, but theres a lot of physical labor involved.

Using a "random orbital" is not what I would recommend to anyone but a "duel action" polisher is good if the action is locked and not random like the Porter Cable. The Makita B-6040 is an excellent machine for this purpose but I still like the rotary for removing sanding scratches. The 6040 can be used as a random orbital but can also be locked so that the pad's back and forth action isn't altered when the pad touches the surface. I don't sell the 6040 but I think you can get them for about the same price as the PC. The action of the PC is the same as your DA, so you could put a polishing bonnet or foam pad on your DA and get the same result.

JCCLARK
08-17-2011, 12:30 PM
big difference between the PC 7424 and a DA.
A DA is far more aggressive, it's a dual action but not a random orbital.
they are not the same thing.
The PC spins real slow and orbits real fast, up to 1200 OPM's
A DA spins real fast but orbits real slow.
The PC is definetly a polisher and will work you to death buffing.
The DA can buff a lot easier,
But a real buffer beats both by a long shot.

That PC finish sands real good, I use one for sanding clear coat
before buffing. Don't try that with a DA.

Dan C
08-17-2011, 01:32 PM
big difference between the PC 7424 and a DA.
A DA is far more aggressive, it's a dual action but not a random orbital.
they are not the same thing.
The PC spins real slow and orbits real fast, up to 1200 OPM's
A DA spins real fast but orbits real slow.
The PC is definetly a polisher and will work you to death buffing.
The DA can buff a lot easier,
But a real buffer beats both by a long shot.

That PC finish sands real good, I use one for sanding clear coat
before buffing. Don't try that with a DA.

with the meguiars 105?

Len
08-17-2011, 01:41 PM
with the meguiars 105?

It's been a few years since I used any Mequiars products but at one time I purchased ALL of their products looking for their best. I ended up giving it all away and moving on to a different manufacturer. They may have made better products lately but I haven't heard any good reports from people that know what they're doing.

Dan C
08-19-2011, 12:40 PM
surefinish on the shelves at the local autobody supply retailers....I will be trying out the meguiars 105 and 205 tomorrow since it is readily available!
It's been a few years since I used any Mequiars products but at one time I purchased ALL of their products looking for their best. I ended up giving it all away and moving on to a different manufacturer. They may have made better products lately but I haven't heard any good reports from people that know what they're doing.

stanclub
08-19-2011, 01:33 PM
M105 works the best with rotary buffer. It could be user friendly to DA, but I found that M105 doesn't give out real shine with it, but rotary. The M205 works great on both rotary and DA. I use PC7424XP with M205 to remove swirl marks left by M105 & wool pad, or for maintenance polishing for my own car.