PDA

View Full Version : 1st cut question

TheCoatingStore.com

stanclub
08-16-2011, 08:01 PM
For regular collision repair, which grit do you guys use as 1st cut? 1000 or 1500? Do you dry sand the 1st cut or wet? Interface pad??

I have heard some experts saying P1500 finishing film leave pigtails, so they use Trizact. I have got Trizact P1500 on hand, should I just wet sand with P1500 trizact and Interface pad? Or, without interface pad?

Thanks!

Len
08-16-2011, 11:57 PM
For regular collision repair, which grit do you guys use as 1st cut? 1000 or 1500? Do you dry sand the 1st cut or wet? Interface pad??

I have heard some experts saying P1500 finishing film leave pigtails, so they use Trizact. I have got Trizact P1500 on hand, should I just wet sand with P1500 trizact and Interface pad? Or, without interface pad?

Thanks!

The interface pad helps the pad take the gentle contours of the panels. If you have some heavy leveling to do you can go without the interface pad but for most newcomers it pays to use the interface pad so that you don't sand through the clear coat. We've surrendered to the Trizact for just about everything but if you want to see the surface while you sand you need to use Finishing Film dry. The dust generated by the FF will allow you to see what you doing but while wet sanding with Trizact you need to squeegee off the water to see the surface.

stanclub
08-19-2011, 02:06 PM
Hi Len, thanks for the help as always!

I love Trizact! I used P1500 on my brother's car last week, with interface pad. Of course, it doesn't level much as I hope, but the finish looks great after compound! And, it does last way longer than Abralon.

About to level the clear coat, I have seen someone's post here sometime ago in regards to using 3M painter's pad ( I assume it is 3M #05551 ) with P800 for leveling, then following up with P1500 Trizact. Are you familiar with painter's pad? Will it help better in preventing sanding-through clear issue? Or, it does just the same as regular backing pad???