PDA

View Full Version : where to buy base coat at a reasonable price.

Don Meyer
06-23-2011, 07:05 AM
I lost my supplier of base coat & am shocked at the price of PPG base coat.

What are people using these days for a reasonable priced paint? I need to buy
2 gallons of base coat (bright red & brillant silver).

I see several mail order paints, but know nothing about them.(HOC/Kirker)

Suggestions will be appreciated.

Don

Len
06-23-2011, 07:40 AM
I lost my supplier of base coat & am shocked at the price of PPG base coat.

What are people using these days for a reasonable priced paint? I need to buy
2 gallons of base coat (bright red & brillant silver).

I see several mail order paints, but know nothing about them.(HOC/Kirker)

Suggestions will be appreciated.

Don

According to most users HOK and Kirker are decent products and cheap paint is usually not something you want to put on a surface you want to hold up well. Almost all paint looks good when it's applied but the cheap stuff will usually age much more quickly than better quality material. You get what you pay for.

twfsa
06-23-2011, 11:58 AM
take a look at

http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/

I intend to use this on my Tacoma, I have heard nothing but good comments on there products

58mark
06-23-2011, 07:07 PM
Look into prospray. Itseems expensive, but reduces at 1:1 so you get a lot of sprayable product, and it's really high quality

Don Meyer
06-24-2011, 06:15 AM
SPI does not sell base coat anymore. It looks like I got 3 choices-kirker,house of color & pro spray.

Any one have knowledge of their quality.

thanks Don:)

turbocobra
06-24-2011, 08:11 AM
I recently bought Urekem products from thecoatingstore.com. Seemed very inexpensive for what you get. It's my understanding that some guys from HOK started it.

I sprayed a test panel and it looked really nice. But to Len's point, no way to know how it's going to hold up.

JCCLARK
06-24-2011, 10:24 AM
Most brands like PPG and DuPont have a discount line that is much
cheaper than their name brand paint.
They're not a good choice when trying to match for collision repair,
but for an "all-over" it's a great choice. They're quality paints.

SamG
06-24-2011, 11:10 AM
I just bought a gallon of Matrix basecoat...medium wedgewood blue. My cost was about $280. The same basecoat in DuPont was $400. That's roughly 25-30% in savings. That is as long as it covers and holds up at least as well as the DuPont. Same thing in Nason basecoat was about $160.

One of our local bodyshops has been using Matrix basecoats almost exclusively for several years now assures me that coverage should be at least as good as DuPont. As far as longevity, they claim they haven't had any significant problems.

SamG

DssMasterPR
06-24-2011, 09:04 PM
find a utech store great price and cover best than any other paint

Eddie
06-24-2011, 09:21 PM
You can buy many popular brands locally at Finishmaster. There are four in Florida.

http://www.finishmaster.com/locations.cfm?state=FL

Len
06-24-2011, 09:45 PM
find a utech store great price and cover best than any other paint

Sikkens purchased UTech a while back and the UT can usually be found anyplace that sells Sikkens. I've used UT several times and found it to work very well for the money but I've only used their single stage products.

Jayson M
06-24-2011, 09:55 PM
One more vote for utech,we have been using it for 11 years on our budget jobs and semis.One coat of polybase is comparable to 4-5 coats of omni or nason,true story ;) Very easy to spray and it looks very nice,even after 10 years.

Len
06-24-2011, 11:19 PM
One more vote for utech,we have been using it for 11 years on our budget jobs and semis.One coat of polybase is comparable to 4-5 coats of omni or nason,true story ;) Very easy to spray and it looks very nice,even after 10 years.

Jayson, does Utech make matching colors or are you just using it for overall jobs?

Jayson M
06-25-2011, 01:27 PM
Len we use it on overalls,you can mix any OEM color you want but sometimes it is a hit and miss.If you want a budget paint with variants in the akzo nobel line it would be lesonal SB similar to Diamont in coverage and match but less $$.We use Sikkens autowave for collison work and high end refinishing,before that it was Autobase plus.

DssMasterPR
06-26-2011, 11:39 PM
utech is great,
also i am using wanda paint great coverage more economy than utech i dont know if wanda paint is sale in the usa i am from puerto rico, is very very cheap match very well cover great
wanda paint is a group akzo nobel coatings if somebody has used wanda write their opinion here

diamont is good but the coverage is no good and the price here in PR is high

sorry for my bad english
:)

Len
06-26-2011, 11:50 PM
utech is great,
also i am using wanda paint great coverage more economy than utech i dont know if wanda paint is sale in the usa i am from puerto rico, is very very cheap match very well cover great
wanda paint is a group akzo nobel coatings if somebody has used wanda write their opinion here

diamont is good but the coverage is no good and the price here in PR is high

sorry for my bad english
:)

I've used Wanda on a couple of low-end jobs and it did work quite well but I don't know how well it would hold up for high priced work. Diamont is a more expensive paint but the finish you get is a higher quality/harder than Wanda. I've used Diamont several times and found that it covered quite well, it may have been the particular color you were spraying that didn't cover properly.

Don Meyer
06-27-2011, 03:17 PM
I called PPG & their base coat is $720/gal(red). Pro Spray was $440. I used PPG's shop brand yrs ago & was not happy with it's coverage. It costs $280.

I searched for Utech, but could not find a source. Where are you buying it ?

Thanks Don -Central Florida

Len
06-27-2011, 03:35 PM
I called PPG & their base coat is $720/gal(red). Pro Spray was $440. I used PPG's shop brand yrs ago & was not happy with it's coverage. It costs $280.

Usually any dealer that sells Sikkens will carry Utech.

Don Meyer
07-04-2011, 08:44 PM
When I was in NAPA buying parts, I checked on the price of their base coat in red......it
was $177/gal.(wow)

Has anyone used their base coat that can comment on it?

Thanks Don

Mark G
07-05-2011, 12:56 AM
I don't know your job, but ask yourself if you really need a gallon. Maybe you do. Get an efficient gun if you don't have one (obviously). Reds have gone out of this world, I sympathize with you. I would suggest that even though you might save a little on mail order bases, I can't stress how important it is to have a local supplier. Someone you can go to on Saturday morning, or Monday morning to get a little extra supply cause you accidentally tipped over that quart of activator before your last coat. You can't wait for the UPS guy to bring it from CA or NY. Nason, Omni and Crossfire are cheaper and I've had great luck with them even on repairs/blends. I stick with Nason these days for the hobby work I do. Every time I go with a cheaper clear to save a few bucks, it always seems to come back and bite me cause one day I'm short on matierial for some reason and can't get more right away, or lack of tech support when I need it. Just my .02

Mark G

Don Meyer
07-06-2011, 01:25 PM
I have a sata gun but, the car is big......1965 Biscayne.

Don

chiefteam
07-07-2011, 03:52 PM

Don, call your PPG dealer and ask them for the price in Shop-Line Plus. Very similar to the DBC basecoat. Covers well, should probably be about $250ish/gal. Color should be almost exactly the same too.

twfsa
07-07-2011, 08:07 PM
What about DuPont Chroma base?

Len
07-07-2011, 10:56 PM
What about DuPont Chroma base?

I've only done one job in the last 10 years using this product and the job came out great except for one thing. I was accustom to using base that covered well but with Chroma Base I should have used the correct color sealer first THEN applied my base coat color. With the work I did I didn't use sealer and I had to respray a lot of the car again to obtain coverage.

Don Meyer
07-09-2011, 06:34 AM
Thanks Len......i will do that.

Don

jeremyb
07-09-2011, 10:43 AM
spi still produces their red basecoat. Think its $270 a gallon...mix 1:1. its in the viper red range of reds.

buckeyeresto
07-10-2011, 09:51 PM
Wanda is good stuff for the bucks, so is metalux and debeer

flashx
07-15-2011, 08:10 AM
Ive used NAPA base coat--- MartinSenour for years Its similar to Chroma Base (Dupont) I get good coverage with it and usually a good match. Ive used PPG but its left a bad taste in my mouth almost every time ive used it not to mention the cost. Ive heard good things about Debeers basecoats but havent tried them yet. They are supposed to cover well and be inexspensive Hope that helps

Don Meyer
07-16-2011, 09:24 PM
I,m going to try NAPA base......Donnie

Don Meyer
08-11-2011, 06:08 AM
WELL..I did not like NAPA's crossfire, I had to spray too many coats to cover. [I] am 73 & it was exhausting to spray all those coats.

I will have to trysomething else. Utech sounds good, but I can not find it in Central Florida.

Thanks Don

Len
08-11-2011, 08:55 AM
WELL..I did not like NAPA's crossfire, I had to spray too many coats to cover. [I] am 73 & it was exhausting to spray all those coats.

I will have to trysomething else. Utech sounds good, but I can not find it in Central Florida.

Thanks Don

Break out the Yellow Pages and look for "Auto Body Supplies" in your area. Call around to see what brands are available near you.

CA. 280
08-12-2011, 05:50 PM
I did a comparison test of PPG paints, comparing Omni to Deltron. As you can see from the
photo it was no contest. Color is the same Moss Green metallic base. Lack of pigment in Omni is obvious.
You do get what you pay for.

twfsa
08-13-2011, 11:05 AM
I did a comparison test of PPG paints, comparing Omni to Deltron. As you can see from the
photo it was no contest. Color is the same Moss Green metallic base. Lack of pigment in Omni is obvious.
You do get what you pay for.

What about PPG's Shop Line ?

CA. 280
08-13-2011, 04:15 PM
Haven"t tried it, I stick to Deltron.

Parker
08-15-2011, 10:48 PM
I would have to agree with Len and others who said you get what you pay for. Lower cost Basecoat typically means lower quality resins, and binders. I would rather spend the money the first time as opposed to refinishing the car again in 2 to 4 years. I would also use a red tinted sealer to help reduce coats to cover.