PDA

View Full Version : Removing dried polishing compound from crevases and total removal

TheCoatingStore.com

slyhog22056
06-15-2011, 09:26 PM
I am having a problem with finding a way to remove polishing compound from cracks and crevases and down those little openings in the cowl. I have tried the only suggestions i have found here and they are totally impractical, ammonia and water and alcohol and water. Do any of you think i may do more damage than good using a pressure washer at a distance??? Also i have another small painting job i am going to have to clearcoat. It has been polished out by the owner with rubbing compound and polishing compound, what do i need to do to remove the compound as i know it will interfere with the clear like it is grease covered.

Len
06-15-2011, 10:36 PM
Allowing some compounds or polish to dry in the cracks is almost like allowing cement to dry in the cracks, you may need a stiff bristle brush or some other way to scrape it out of the crevasses. The pressure washer may do the trick if it's strong enough to blast it off and not so strong that it can hurt something.

Next time be sure to mask or cover areas where you don't want the compound or polish to dry. I usually mask AND wash the vehicle right after using compound and polish.

slyhog22056
06-15-2011, 11:45 PM
Well i messed up by doing it all in sections over a 5 day period. I will try to wash everything down with dawn and water real good and hopefully soften it up enough i dont have to use a lot of pressure. I have my own industrial pressure washer so i can do it here at home. The wife says so what, if it peels the paint or the clear i can just repaint it in a color SHE likes, in other words the candy apple red it was in the first place....
Sometimes women dont realize why i spent most of the winter getting it rready to paint, she thinks it will be a 1 day job to snad it down and repaint......OH HOW I WISH!!

Jim2
06-16-2011, 04:03 AM
Im not sure, but I would try a rag dampened with mineral spirits, followed immediately by a clean dry rag.
Mineral spirits will melt wax pretty quick, but it wont hurt dried paint. Cant hurt to try a little spot... Good luck with it.

m22mike
06-16-2011, 06:30 AM
I have had some luck using some WD 40 to remove old compound

Mike

Robert
06-16-2011, 08:18 AM
http://www.orange-sol.com/contractors/index.html

It's silicon free and unlike most the other solvents is safe and smells good.

I'm not sure about this but it seems to me, if a polish or compound is hard to remove when it gets dry it's being held together by something, and that something, whether the manufacturer calls it filler/glaze or not probably acts like it and effects the final result by hiding scratches and swirls.

Robert

Henry
06-16-2011, 09:24 AM
Well i messed up by doing it all in sections over a 5 day period. I will try to wash everything down with dawn and water real good and hopefully soften it up enough i dont have to use a lot of pressure. I have my own industrial pressure washer so i can do it here at home. The wife says so what, if it peels the paint or the clear i can just repaint it in a color SHE likes, in other words the candy apple red it was in the first place....
Sometimes women dont realize why i spent most of the winter getting it rready to paint, she thinks it will be a 1 day job to snad it down and repaint......OH HOW I WISH!!

What brand compound did you use? 3M hardens like a rock and thus another reason I think 3M is not up to date with their compound/polishes. Shame too since they spend the most on research. I changed to Presta cutting creme for compounding which helped the problem you're having and a few years ago to Sure Finish to help things even more.
So, what did you use? Henry

JCCLARK
06-16-2011, 11:35 AM
3M makes a product in a squirt bottle called "clean & shine"
It works real good for removing dried compound, that's what it's
made for. A rag dampened with it over a popsicle stick works great.
I always wash the entire car as soon as I get done buffing,
that gets most of it, while it's fresh.
That's one of the things I like about Meguiars products,
they rinse off with water pretty easily.;)

slyhog22056
06-16-2011, 09:35 PM
I cant remember the brand exactly but it is in cracks between panels, the openings in the cowl, places like that. will try everything i can even if i have to use a toothbrush to get it out.