PDA

View Full Version : Making color lighter

TheCoatingStore.com

mjsorl
05-29-2011, 08:27 AM
Is it possible to take a metallic finish and make it lighter shade thru buffing?
I've just finished the last panel on a dark green metallic BASF RM Diamont paint / clear-coat finish, the last panel (a fender) does not appear to be the same shade as the others around it, is it me or is it possible it is different? Car has not gone out to the daylight, as the wheels are being finished also.:?:reading
Any help feedback would be appreciated>:scratchch

Snafu
05-29-2011, 01:51 PM
not possible

Len
05-29-2011, 02:59 PM
Is it possible to take a metallic finish and make it lighter shade thru buffing?
I've just finished the last panel on a dark green metallic BASF RM Diamont paint / clear-coat finish, the last panel (a fender) does not appear to be the same shade as the others around it, is it me or is it possible it is different? Car has not gone out to the daylight, as the wheels are being finished also.:?:reading
Any help feedback would be appreciated>:scratchch

Metallic can be tricky. If it was all painted at the same time it should match and the only thing buffing should change is the smoothness of the surface and possibly the gloss. If the fender was painted at a different time then it's very possible that it doesn't match even if the paint came out of the same can because of other variables. Also, metallic can look different when the angle of the surface changes, a slightly different angle can make it look darker or lighter.

mjsorl
05-30-2011, 06:31 AM
Thanks Len, I know that at different angles the colors do change, this mix looks blue at dusk, green in bright sun and black when low light, but sitting in the shop it still sticks out in my mind. This is a standard color for the mfg.
Thank you all for the response.

Mike Smith