PDA

View Full Version : Ready to Buff

GTOKID
05-23-2011, 02:52 PM
Hey - I finally finished color sanding (bright white) the GTO, ending with 2000 grit. The finish is flat and smooth. The Plus gun is really sweet - I need more practice with it, but love the results. I have heard some good reviews on the Sure Finish system that Len and others use. I just want to check with you guys on the buffing process. I will be using a Milwaukee 7" polisher, 1750RPM. I will be ordering the Sure Finish polishing pads kit and compound soon. Thanks to all - pictures will be coming in the near future!

Len
05-23-2011, 05:27 PM
Hey - I finally finished color sanding (bright white) the GTO, ending with 2000 grit. The finish is flat and smooth. The Plus gun is really sweet - I need more practice with it, but love the results. I have heard some good reviews on the Sure Finish system that Len and others use. I just want to check with you guys on the buffing process. I will be using a Milwaukee 7" polisher, 1750RPM. I will be ordering the Sure Finish polishing pads kit and compound soon. Thanks to all - pictures will be coming in the near future!

Depending on the type of paint used and the texture of the finish the buffing process can vary but in most cases you'll want to sand the paint using 1500 grit then 2500 or 3000 grit then polish. Dampen the pad before you start, apply a pencil length of SF to the car and pick it up on the rotating pad and do this 2 or 3 times then start polishing. Make sure that your pad rotation is OFF the panel edges and body lines or it can damage the paint in those areas.

This is a process that takes some skill so start on a simple panel that doesn't have too many surface variations like a roof so that you can see the result and adjust your technique accordingly.