PDA

View Full Version : Airvantage Sander....getting the pig tails

morrocco88
04-09-2011, 12:11 AM
I just picked up a new Airvantage from Len with the box of 1500 discs and also the Trizact 3000.

It worked really fast, but after polishing I noticed the curley Q / Pig tails. This was on my first panel, the hood, so on my next panel I made sure to only sand a tiny bit and wipe the dust (sanding dry 1500, 3000 wet), and also used a nail brush to clean any "pills" from the paper. I did this so carefully to make sure it wouldn't pig tail on me.....and it did.

Next panel I decided to go wet instead of dry, and it did it again, but not as bad as dry. I'm so frustrated because after spending the money to have a faster solution to color sanding, it has made it just as slow or slower than hand sanding because I have to go back and fiddle with trying to sand out the pig tails and re-buff.

The clear I used was the U-Pol 2802 which is a high solids 2:1.

Clear is cured after 12 hrs at 70 deg. / Clear sat for almost 2 weeks before cutting and buffing

Buffing materials is 3m perfect it with a foam compounding and polishing pads

What am I doing wrong?

tech69
04-09-2011, 01:23 AM
turn the da down. Do you have the black handled da? That's the one you want. Keep your paper clean and going slow or it will pigtail.

Len
04-09-2011, 07:06 AM
I just picked up a new Airvantage from Len with the box of 1500 discs and also the Trizact 3000.

It worked really fast, but after polishing I noticed the curley Q / Pig tails. This was on my first panel, the hood, so on my next panel I made sure to only sand a tiny bit and wipe the dust (sanding dry 1500, 3000 wet), and also used a nail brush to clean any "pills" from the paper. I did this so carefully to make sure it wouldn't pig tail on me.....and it did.

Next panel I decided to go wet instead of dry, and it did it again, but not as bad as dry. I'm so frustrated because after spending the money to have a faster solution to color sanding, it has made it just as slow or slower than hand sanding because I have to go back and fiddle with trying to sand out the pig tails and re-buff.

The clear I used was the U-Pol 2802 which is a high solids 2:1.

Clear is cured after 12 hrs at 70 deg. / Clear sat for almost 2 weeks before cutting and buffing

Buffing materials is 3m perfect it with a foam compounding and polishing pads

What am I doing wrong?

The Trizact (any grit) should never be used dry always wet. When using the Finishing Film be sure that the surface of the paint is clean before you start and remove any dust nibs before you start. As you dry sand with the Finishing Film keep lifting the sander and tap the paper with your hand to remove dust buildup. When it starts to create pills on the surface you can use a scuff pad to help remove them cleanly but the pills will indicate that the paper is almost ready for change. The small amount of pig tails created by the Finishing Film should be removed by the Trizact unless they were caused by dirt in the finish which makes them much deeper than any build up on the sandpaper.

morrocco88
04-10-2011, 10:45 AM
turn the da down. Do you have the black handled da? That's the one you want. Keep your paper clean and going slow or it will pigtail.

Yeah it's the black handle, short throw 3/32 Airvantage I bought over the phone directly from Len. That's the thing, I had it turned all the wa down, and was going really slow to make sure the paper stayed clean. I also had used a nib file on any dust nibs and wiped the panel, and thoroughly inspected the panel before starting to sand.

The Trizact (any grit) should never be used dry always wet. When using the Finishing Film be sure that the surface of the paint is clean before you start and remove any dust nibs before you start. As you dry sand with the Finishing Film keep lifting the sander and tap the paper with your hand to remove dust buildup. When it starts to create pills on the surface you can use a scuff pad to help remove them cleanly but the pills will indicate that the paper is almost ready for change. The small amount of pig tails created by the Finishing Film should be removed by the Trizact unless they were caused by dirt in the finish which makes them much deeper than any build up on the sandpaper.

I was only using the 1500 dry as you had suggested to be a guide coat, but after getting the pig tails I used it wet and used my 3M rubber squeagy to see how much peel I had removed. As I said, I was pretty much surgical in keeping things clean. I said "pills", but there was never really hard pills on the paper. It was more just dust buildup that I would use the nail brush to sweep it off the paper, and also dust off the panel before continuing. I was just trying to avoid dust buildup on the paper to make sure I had clean paper to surface contact.

Maybe the clear is too soft? It is pretty easy to buff even after it is cured, as that is one of the features and benefits listed on the Tech sheet.

I am pleased with how nice and quality the sander is though. Very quiet and smooth running.

Len
04-10-2011, 05:18 PM
Yeah it's the black handle, short throw 3/32 Airvantage I bought over the phone directly from Len. That's the thing, I had it turned all the wa down, and was going really slow to make sure the paper stayed clean. I also had used a nib file on any dust nibs and wiped the panel, and thoroughly inspected the panel before starting to sand.

I was only using the 1500 dry as you had suggested to be a guide coat, but after getting the pig tails I used it wet and used my 3M rubber squeagy to see how much peel I had removed. As I said, I was pretty much surgical in keeping things clean. I said "pills", but there was never really hard pills on the paper. It was more just dust buildup that I would use the nail brush to sweep it off the paper, and also dust off the panel before continuing. I was just trying to avoid dust buildup on the paper to make sure I had clean paper to surface contact.

Maybe the clear is too soft? It is pretty easy to buff even after it is cured, as that is one of the features and benefits listed on the Tech sheet.

I am pleased with how nice and quality the sander is though. Very quiet and smooth running.

Yes, the problem is not being caused by the sander, it's happening between the paper and the paint.

Robert
04-11-2011, 10:00 AM
If you use 1500 trizact paper with just a mist of water, the amount you can get with a spray bottle you should never get pigtails. Keep a squeegee handy and just wipe as you go. The dry paper does give you a guide but you can be safe if you just squeegee often. Also, if you go from 1500 to 3000 you need to do a test to see if the 3000 is really cutting the 1500 scratch. To do that, make the 3000 cut and buff out.

After you buff, use alcohol and wipe the area. Then use a light to see if everything is really gone.

I wear a headlamp when I work.

Robert