PDA

View Full Version : Painting over a removed pinstripe detail

TheCoatingStore.com

tomd123456
04-04-2011, 09:02 PM
I just painted my chevy truck silver and had its former pinstripe removed and sanded down. I'm painting the trim black over where the pinstripe used to be. How do I avoid imperfect color/imperfections showing through the black paint I'll be painting on it?

Len
04-04-2011, 11:30 PM
I just painted my chevy truck silver and had its former pinstripe removed and sanded down. I'm painting the trim black over where the pinstripe used to be. How do I avoid imperfect color/imperfections showing through the black paint I'll be painting on it?

If the pinstripe has been on the surface for a long time the paint under it has probably aged differently than the paint that was exposed to the weather. I've found that my biggest problem when I have this situation is that the exposed paint will sand off faster and you can get "read-thru lines" that can show in your new finish. If I think I could have this problem I'll usually prep the entire car and apply a light layer of filler primer to the area of the stripe then allow it to cure and block sand it prior to applying my color.