PDA

View Full Version : Updating my polishing outfit...

hemikiller
03-14-2011, 08:42 AM
Hey guys, first post, even though I've been a member for years. I usually just read the threads....

Anyway, I have a quandry about the new buffing materials and tools. I have a Snap-On 7"/9" buffer/sander that I bought back in the early 90's and need to buy some new buffing pads and compounds. I typically used just a wool pad with 3M Super Duty rubbing compound (as needed) followed up with Finesse-It II for the final polish with a Mequiar's Carnuba wax. The finish was always acceptable to me, given all the cars I buffed were lighter colors.

I tried these methods on a 2001 Audi A6 that I got on the cheap and the results are less than spectacular. AFAIK, it's the original paint I'm working with and the color is Ming Blue pearl - a very dark blue metallic.

So, what would you guys recommend I use for materials and pads. There are a lot of swirl marks from years of washing, some minor bumper scuffs and the trunk lid has a lot of deeper clearcoat scratches that I'd like to remove if I don't have to get in too deep.

Thanks in advance for your advice....

Arnolt
03-14-2011, 09:10 AM
I just used some Sure Finish I got from Len and was very happy with the results. I used an orange pad on a Makita polisher running at low rpm. You might want to go with a softer pad for swirl marks on a dark surface.

Robert
03-14-2011, 11:49 AM
http://www.autobodystore.com/swirl_removal.shtml

and you might want to check out the very compelling and informative video, "Detailing for Enthusiasts" sold on this site. :soapbox:

Robert

Arnolt
03-14-2011, 01:21 PM
I agree with Robert. I got the video and found it very helpful.