PDA

View Full Version : Another Paint Removal Question

rancheroo
03-06-2011, 05:55 PM
Ever since reading that you can remove filler quickly & easily with a heat gun and a scraper. I've also been using this method to remove paint. My mustang has been repainted (never stripped) three times, so the paint is very thick considering all of the coats of primer in addition to the top coats.

I stripped the front fenders with a chemical stripper & a DA sander & that took forever, was nasty as hell & felt like a fire ant attack when it got on your skin. I won't do that again.

My question is: is there a downside to stripping paint with a heat gun and a scraper?

Rick

Len
03-06-2011, 06:01 PM
Ever since reading that you can remove filler quickly & easily with a heat gun and a scraper. I've also been using this method to remove paint. My mustang has been repainted (never stripped) three times, so the paint is very thick considering all of the coats of primer in addition to the top coats.

I stripped the front fenders with a chemical stripper & a DA sander & that took forever, was nasty as hell & felt like a fire ant attack when it got on your skin. I won't do that again.

My question is: is there a downside to stripping paint with a heat gun and a scraper?

Rick

As long as you don't get the metal too hot then a heat gun is ok.