PDA

View Full Version : Tru Grit...

TheCoatingStore.com

Dan C
02-05-2011, 11:35 PM
compound,anybody here have an opinion on this product?

I hear its very good yet havent had a chance to try it...cuts and polishes out 600 grit sanding scratches I have been told!

Dan:privateeye:

Dan C
04-15-2011, 01:35 AM
today on a week old transtar clear(euro 7311)with 800 grit...almost pulled it off,I think u can do 1000 grit though!

Dan C
04-15-2011, 11:41 PM
Has does anyone here use this compound...will buff out 1000 grit sanding scratches,and where I am at I can get it for approx. 35 a gal!

Len
04-16-2011, 07:11 AM
If your painting is real rough then you may need 600 or 1000 grit to help level it but in most cases you should be able to start with 1500 grit and end with 2500 or 4000 grit which is quite easy to shine with less aggressive polish.

The problem with using an aggressive polish is that you're going to need at least one more product to remove the deep swirls left by the "Tru Grit".

Dan C
04-16-2011, 09:30 AM
came out nice,a little peel,a few little sags but all in all a good job!

I will address the sags first then hit the entire car with 1000 grit to almost level then step up to 1500 to finish sanding!

As with any compound and the use of a rotary buffer u will always get swirls theres no away around it, I always look forward to that next step... removing the swirls!

If your painting is real rough then you may need 600 or 1000 grit to help level it but in most cases you should be able to start with 1500 grit and end with 2500 or 4000 grit which is quite easy to shine with less aggressive polish.

The problem with using an aggressive polish is that you're going to need at least one more product to remove the deep swirls left by the "Tru Grit".

Henry
04-16-2011, 10:05 AM
today on a week old transtar clear(euro 7311)with 800 grit...almost pulled it off,I think u can do 1000 grit though!

Dan, MALCO Products have been around since me and Mooch were boys. They have a "sister" company called PRESTA and below is a link to the complete line that Len sells. Read what he said about it:

http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=P131932&Category_Code=M3

I guess the UCC (Ultra Cutting Creme) by Presta is the True Grit by Malco. There is a problem with Presta/Malco being that the cutting creme will cut fantastically but requires 2 more steps after. One of which is to get a shine and one is to remove swirl and glaze.
Len used it in his shop and I used it after throwing in the towel on 3M products.

THEN came SURE FINISH which is a liquid that handle all the steps just by changing the pad on your buffer. Makes life a lot easier not having to buy three products. A link to SF is below:

http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SFG&Category_Code=M3

Don't look at the price as twice as much because for one, it's doing the job of 3 other products and goes a lot further. I can do a lot more buffing sessions with the gallon of Sure Finish than I could have with the cutting creme. The other thing is you will sooner burn through with the grit of UCC or your Tru Grit.

There is no doubt what you say is true but there has been a new kid on the block. Henry

Robert
04-16-2011, 12:09 PM
But I have to say, normally when people claim they can cut those lower numbers the result is shined scratches. If you look at the reflection of the very edge of a light against a dark background - so there is a very distinct line between light and dark - then move you head and look for movement, you can usually see the sandpaper scratch still there. It's shiny, but the paint has a texture to it.

When colorsanding is done right, IMHO, the colorsanding is invisible, the paint looks like it came out of the gun that way and was never touched after that.

Robert

Dan C
04-16-2011, 08:39 PM
is what u get with Auto Magic!:0

But I have to say, normally when people claim they can cut those lower numbers the result is shined scratches. If you look at the reflection of the very edge of a light against a dark background - so there is a very distinct line between light and dark - then move you head and look for movement, you can usually see the sandpaper scratch still there. It's shiny, but the paint has a texture to it.

When colorsanding is done right, IMHO, the colorsanding is invisible, the paint looks like it came out of the gun that way and was never touched after that.

Robert

Dan C
04-28-2011, 12:22 AM
Which one did you order to try Robert your post was not real clear anyways please keep us informed on the products abilities!

Thanks,

Robert

Len
04-28-2011, 07:57 AM
Which one did you order to try Robert your post was not real clear anyways please keep us informed on the products abilities!

Thanks,

When I talked to Robert earlier this week he said he tried the Tru Grit and it had a lot of filler (oils) that made it appear to polish but when the oils were washed away a lot of the scratchs reappeared.

Dan C
04-28-2011, 11:01 PM
Dan, MALCO Products have been around since me and Mooch were boys. They have a "sister" company called PRESTA and below is a link to the complete line that Len sells. Read what he said about it:

http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=P131932&Category_Code=M3

I guess the UCC (Ultra Cutting Creme) by Presta is the True Grit by Malco. There is a problem with Presta/Malco being that the cutting creme will cut fantastically but requires 2 more steps after. One of which is to get a shine and one is to remove swirl and glaze.
Len used it in his shop and I used it after throwing in the towel on 3M products.

THEN came SURE FINISH which is a liquid that handle all the steps just by changing the pad on your buffer. Makes life a lot easier not having to buy three products. A link to SF is below:

http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SFG&Category_Code=M3

Don't look at the price as twice as much because for one, it's doing the job of 3 other products and goes a lot further. I can do a lot more buffing sessions with the gallon of Sure Finish than I could have with the cutting creme. The other thing is you will sooner burn through with the grit of UCC or your Tru Grit.

There is no doubt what you say is true but there has been a new kid on the block. Henry

block huh,I have not seen nor heard of him!

Maybe I am behind in the times and need some catching up to do...know where I can recieve a sample to try out before I put out my hard earned cash on this product?

Len
04-28-2011, 11:06 PM
block huh,I have not seen nor heard of him!

Maybe I am behind in the times and need some catching up to do...know where I can recieve a sample to try out before I put out my hard earned cash on this product?

Sometimes you just have to invest in your own education or take the word of someone with more experience.

Dan C
04-28-2011, 11:46 PM
umm I got this gallon of tru grit here,a wool cutting pad here,ummm a foam cutting pad here, umm and these misc foam finishing pads here and some soap and water lets see if I can make it happen in lets say 2 pads swirl free with a little tweak here and there umm its on baby!:0

Sometimes you just have to invest in your own education or take the word of someone with more experience.

style
04-29-2011, 12:24 AM
true grit is like liquid sand paper and leaves a 2000grit scratch behind..good for by hand in areas a buffer cant touch but i allways follow it with a fine compound afterwards...

Dan C
04-29-2011, 01:08 AM
compound guy r u?
3m
meguires
mothers
auto magic:0
sure finish:raspberry:

true grit is like liquid sand paper and leaves a 2000grit scratch behind..good for by hand in areas a buffer cant touch but i allways follow it with a fine compound afterwards...

style
04-29-2011, 01:41 AM
compound guy r u?
3m
meguires
mothers
auto magic:0
sure finish:raspberry:

screw, auto magic

3m drys to fast

parkers complete compound and shure finish are on my top list,true grit for tight areas followed by complete compound....

dont take my word about shure finish i only charge 400 a car to buff it...

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu214/larson4123/motivate21.jpg