PDA

View Full Version : What's the easiest clear to buff

TheCoatingStore.com

tech69
02-04-2011, 10:05 PM
I never realized there could be such a difference. Today I buffed PPG dcu and it cuts like butter!
It was wet sanded w/ 1500 and I kid you not it generally took two passes to buff out scratches. I don't ever recall feeling a noticeable difference between brands. I do feel the difference between 1-2 stage. Any other brands wet sand like this or is this normal for top end clears?

Len
02-04-2011, 10:30 PM
I never realized there could be such a difference. Today I buffed PPG dcu and it cuts like butter!
It was wet sanded w/ 1500 and I kid you not it generally took two passes to buff out scratches. I don't ever recall feeling a noticeable difference between brands. I do feel the difference between 1-2 stage. Any other brands wet sand like this or is this normal for top end clears?

The ease that a paint polishes has a lot of variables including the length of time it's been on the surface, the temperature during the cure cycle, the kind of paint and manufacturer, if it's single stage the color can make a big difference etc. etc. If the paint stays soft and polishes easily after it's been on the surface for weeks then it's probably a softer material and is going to age more quickly.

One more thing... if the compound you're using has lubricants or fillers it will appear to remove the sanding scratches quickly but they will return when the fillers are washed off the surface.

tech69
02-05-2011, 12:23 AM
washed it with dawn. Of course I did more passes than two, it was just close after two passes.
Maybe it was the temp during the cure cycle.