PDA

View Full Version : Hobbyair hood or full face mask?

jpmitch
02-02-2011, 04:19 PM
Which is better for painting a car? A hobbyair with hood or with full face mask? Also, Ican pick up an inexpensive unit that draws air from the compressor and has a lead to the spraygun. I have a devilbiss DAD 500 filter system with an additional devilbiss charcoal filter. Ive tested the air with a carbon monoxide detector and all seems ok. My concern is that it would draw so much air from my compressor, that it would interfere with painting. Anyone have experience with this type of respirator? Thanks, John

Bob K
02-02-2011, 06:40 PM
If you mean a filter that cleans the air from an ordinary reciprocating compressor then I will say we had a few at work about twenty years ago and I didn’t let my guys use them because I didn’t trust them. The hazards in the compressed air can change in an instant and those filters had no monitoring system to tell you that carbon monoxide was now present. There was no way of knowing if the filter media broke and was letting oil past either. They were only good until they broke and there was no way of knowing when they broke, so there was no way of knowing if the air was good to breathe. I wouldn’t trust myself to that kind of filter no mater how good the salesman says it is.

Go with any Hobbyair system using their air supply and you should be safe.

Bob K

Len
02-02-2011, 07:34 PM
Which is better for painting a car? A hobbyair with hood or with full face mask? Also, Ican pick up an inexpensive unit that draws air from the compressor and has a lead to the spraygun. I have a devilbiss DAD 500 filter system with an additional devilbiss charcoal filter. Ive tested the air with a carbon monoxide detector and all seems ok. My concern is that it would draw so much air from my compressor, that it would interfere with painting. Anyone have experience with this type of respirator? Thanks, John

One important thing to remember if you're breathing oil lubricated compressor air is to have a CO detector on the air line. CO detectors start around $500.

jpmitch
02-02-2011, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the heads up. So getting back to the hobbyair, which is better for car painting, hood or facemask?

Len
02-02-2011, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the heads up. So getting back to the hobbyair, which is better for car painting, hood or facemask?

Some people like the hood some like the full face mask. Personally I'm a hood fan.
The air doesn't hit you in the face with the hood like it does with the full face mask and the hose in in back of you and not in front where it can get in the way. The hood protects your entire head.
No matter which you buy don't forget to order lens protectors to keep over spray off the lens.

rons
03-16-2011, 06:14 PM
You ought to look at what SAS has to offer.

Len
03-16-2011, 09:36 PM
You ought to look at what SAS has to offer.

SAS makes a good system and I sell it here on the site. The only problem I've had with them from time to time is customer support. The Axis (Hobbyair) people bend over backward to keep their customers (and me) happy. If I were going to purchase a professional system for daily use I'd go with Bullard or SAS but for a DIYer you can't beat the Hobbyair.

Cameron
09-29-2011, 08:28 PM
I've got the hood and find it really good. I don't wear glasses but have a friend that does. I had him try it on just to see how it'd work and there's no problem there. I like the how the hood sits on your head and once painting really don't notice it's on. The fact that you can paint and now have even a whiff of paint smell is really great. I'd buy the hood set up again in a second.

(I of course bought it from Len... )

c

ziff396
09-30-2011, 06:59 AM
I do wear glasses, and the hood works great for me. No fogging up or overspray on them.