PDA

View Full Version : Rust In Lower Rear Quarter Panel

Fasttony
12-22-2010, 07:33 AM
Hello
I am restoring a 70' AMC Javelin that has a couple of small rust holes about 1/16" in one lower rear quarter panel. The trunk drop down to quarter panel opening is only about a 1/2" or less and tapers down to the pinch weld, I can barely see in there with a light and mirror. What I would like to do is chemically clean or etch the panel inside then seal/fill it with epoxy, POR-15 product or other suitable filler to prevent anymore rust, is it possible to do a permanent repair without major surgery? Any suggestions?

Thanks

New Member fasttony

Len
12-22-2010, 08:12 AM
Hello
I am restoring a 70' AMC Javelin that has a couple of small rust holes about 1/16" in one lower rear quarter panel. The trunk drop down to quarter panel opening is only about a 1/2" or less and tapers down to the pinch weld, I can barely see in there with a light and mirror. What I would like to do is chemically clean or etch the panel inside then seal/fill it with epoxy, POR-15 product or other suitable filler to prevent anymore rust, is it possible to do a permanent repair without major surgery? Any suggestions?

Thanks

New Member fasttony

The only way to do a "permanent" repair is to cut away the rusted metal and replace it with new metal then seal the seams with a good seam sealer and treat the back with a good rust preventive coating. Many popular production cars that are popular restos will have aftermarket repair panels made for them and you may be able to find one for your car.

The backing strip method that we use for this type of repair is shown in the link below.

http://www.autobodystore.com/Truckdr28.jpg
LINK (http://www.autobodystore.com/door_rust.shtml)

Hybrid killer
12-22-2010, 10:04 AM
No pictures, no advice. My 1st car was a 68 Jevelin :)
Len is right, but we still need pics to drool over :D

Fasttony
12-22-2010, 03:17 PM
Len you are correct about the lower rear quarter repair panels being available I do have both L & R if needed. The attached link you posted showing the backing strip repair methed is exactly what this car needs, that leads me to the next question. If the other lower rear quarter looks good on the outside should I just leave it as is and take a chance it won't rust from the inside? The attached pictures are of the car new (new picture is the only one we have from then so if you don't mind my Mother in it?) second picture as it sits now . This Javelin is a factory original Big Bad Orange Mark Donohue signature car bought new by my Mother, it has always been in our family so my intent is to get it right with good advice. I am sure I will be visiting this throughout my restoration.
Note: I will have to reply and post twice to get both pictures up.

Thanks Again

Tony

Fasttony
12-22-2010, 08:06 PM
#2 Picture is current, my Dad tried to restore it a few times so there is about 3 extra coats of paint.

Tony

Len
12-22-2010, 10:56 PM
Len you are correct about the lower rear quarter repair panels being available I do have both L & R if needed. The attached link you posted showing the backing strip repair methed is exactly what this car needs, that leads me to the next question. If the other lower rear quarter looks good on the outside should I just leave it as is and take a chance it won't rust from the inside? The attached pictures are of the car new (new picture is the only one we have from then so if you don't mind my Mother in it?) second picture as it sits now . This Javelin is a factory original Big Bad Orange Mark Donohue signature car bought new by my Mother, it has always been in our family so my intent is to get it right with good advice. I am sure I will be visiting this throughout my restoration.
Note: I will have to reply and post twice to get both pictures up.

Thanks Again

Tony

You should be able to upload 5 pictures to each post.

If the area looks good I'd leave the outside alone but try to stop rust from attacking the metal from the inside. You can do this by making sure the area is CLEAN and seams sealed in the pocket and around the wheelhouse inside and out as good as possible. Coat the inside of the pocket with a good rust preventive paint like Zero Rust and vent the area to the inside of the trunk as good as possible.

Make sure there are NO LEAKS that will allow water into the trunk. I sometimes crawl into the trunk with a flashlight and have someone dump water on the entire back of the car with a hose while I look for leaks inside.

Hybrid killer
12-23-2010, 09:03 AM
Nice looking ride.