PDA

View Full Version : Single stage, wet sand help!

TheCoatingStore.com

39 chevy
11-19-2010, 06:01 PM
I topcoated with acrylic urethane single stage, and my question is: What is my window to wet sand AND buff out w/compound? Thanks, Dana

Len
11-19-2010, 06:51 PM
I topcoated with acrylic urethane single stage, and my question is: What is my window to wet sand AND buff out w/compound? Thanks, Dana

What type of hardener (fast, medium or slow) was used and what was the temperature before, during and after spraying. If the hardener was fast and the temp was high it probably hardened enough to sand and polish in 8 hours. If the hardener was slow and the temps were low then it could take a week.

Phil V
11-19-2010, 06:52 PM
The window is indefinate in that you can wet sand and buff at any point you're comfortable with whether it be the next day after spraying or a year or two later. Just keep in mind that the paint sands a lot easier within the first few days, it also buffs out easier in that time frame. In the first few days the paint is not fully cured so it relatively soft which makes it easier to sand and buff. The longer you wait the harder the paint gets which makes sanding it more difficult as well as buffing out those sand scratches. After a week or so the paint is relatively stable (we are talking chemically hardened paints here, not lacquer or synthetic enamel).

39 chevy
11-19-2010, 08:45 PM
Thanks again, I get it now, Dana