PDA

View Full Version : Finishing a bicycle frame

TheCoatingStore.com

v12man
11-10-2010, 01:43 AM
Hi

I need a little advice on how to go about doing the final finish on a bicycle frame I am spraying - metallic base coat, clear coat.

I am strictly an amateur, and this is my first bc/cc paint effort (and my first post)

Should I be considering doing this by hand only - I really don't want to spend forever respraying sand throughs, and any tips or hints will be welcome.

Obligatory pic - still in primer

Bob K
11-10-2010, 07:29 AM
I canít think of any way to sand that except by hand. Any where a sander touches it there will be point contact with the machine and it will go to metal in a second. Use a light touch and be careful.

Spraying to not get runs looks like quite a challenge. Iíve never sprayed a bike frame but I have sprayed scaffolding. There is a lot of overspray if you donít match your spray pattern to the target size. If youíre used to spraying on a panel then you will need to adjust your gun for the tubing and that is going to make you air adjust different than you are used to. I close the fan to almost nothing so I am spraying a round pattern. Once you do that you need to adjust the air pressure again because it will be way up from where it was for spraying with the fan open.

There are a lot of guys that have posted questions about motorcycle painting, I hope one of them will see this and add there experience.

Bob K

v12man
11-11-2010, 08:50 AM
Finally got some paint on it - 2 coats of base - came out nice - no drips or runs.

4 coats of clear - pretty troublesome to do, could not find a gun setting that would not create some overspray on the shadow side of the tubes - you can see the whitish dust in the pic below, but I am fairly confident that it will mostly brush off with a rag when dry, and some light sanding should take care of the finish - there is one small sag, and mostly the finish is smooth.

Rule number 1 seems to be with this - spray it so you don't have to sand it (or as close as possible)

I will give it some time to harden up nicely and then have a go at cleaning it all up and making it presentable starting at 1200 - 1500 I think - gently does it.