PDA

View Full Version : daughter's car shot 2001 Cavalier with Kirker Paint...pics!

george248
11-02-2010, 06:36 PM
Sorry if this is not the proper area, definitely not a classic, but is post 1970. 8o

My daughter has been driving now for about a 1 1/2 years and had a few minor accidents (left rear 1/4 and right front fender and bumper cover). The car (2001 Cavalier Z24) also had the clear coat flaking off the top of panels and numerous small dings.

I did not want to spend a lot of money, but wanted this car to look good enough to get her by for a few years, as she is going off to college next year. I decided to use Kirker paint products which I have never used and was a little skeptical, but the price was right, so I figured what do I have to lose?

I have used the Kirker Epoxy before, it is good stuff and I sprayed a coat of epoxy reduced slightly as a sealer after all the bodywork was finished. Next was two coats of Kirker's Ultra glo with ultra-lock additive which turns the urethane into a basecoat. I was very surprised that the base covered so good with two coats. The color is Ultra Blue Pearl UA-4190. After the two coats, I sprayed a light/medium drop coat just for added insurance. I used Kirker's Ultra H/S clear (2 coats) which is one of their "higher end" high solids clears.

The Kirker base and clear sprayed very nice and coverage was excellent. If the clear holds up for a few years, then I will be very happy. Total cost of materials was $250. This was for 2 quarts epoxy (spray-able) 5 quarts of base (spray-able) 5 quarts clear (spray-able).

I used my Devibiss Plus gun with the 1.2 tip for the base... probably would have been fine with the 1.3 but this was my first time using it so I was a little timid:D I went with the 1.3 for the clear and it worked great. This spray gun really makes you look like you know how to paint. No need to cut and buff and looks as good as any factory finishes that I have seen lately.

I have been in the process of restoring my 69 Mach I Mustang now for several years, but have been a little intimidated and dragging my azz. This gave me much needed practice and confidence to get that Mach I finished.

Thanks Len for this site and all the information you provide!

I bought my supplied air system and Plus Gun from you several years ago, but this is my first overall with it.

CoolasIce
11-02-2010, 07:29 PM
Car looks great. I'm sure the paint will hold up for many years.

Eddie
11-11-2010, 10:03 AM
It really looks great.:)

I like the Kirker Ultra Glo for a cheap job. I think it's a pretty good value. And their epoxy (Enduro Prime) is a staple in my shop.

I have never used the basecoat additive, but I do plan on checking it out when I get a chance. Does it really go on like a basecoat?

Here's the $200 Ultra-Glo paint job- a real quickie job too.

george248
11-11-2010, 10:47 AM
This is the first time that I have used a BC/CC system as I have only sprayed single stage PPG before. All I can say is that with two coats and a drop coat for added insurance that the metallic laid out perfectly and coverage was great. I really did not expect it to look as good or spray as good as it did. I thought the base coat additive/converter would dilute the color quite a bit requiring more coats for coverage, but this was not the case. For a cheap job, I would definitely use it again.

68FB
01-19-2011, 09:32 PM
Nice job, bet your daughter is proud. Does the base coat additive make it dry out faster and lay out flat like the other bases I have sprayed or does it spray like a regular urethane? I am seriously considering the Kirker for my 95 Honda Civic.

Again Nice Job:)
68fb

george248
01-20-2011, 06:49 AM
Yes, without the converter it is just a single stage urethane. With the converter, it dried to more of a "matte" finish then a true flat like PPG basecoat that I have sprayed since.

It does dry faster and I was shocked that it covered as good as it does with only two coats. I did give it a "drop coat" immediately after the second coat just for added insurance, but coverage was better than I expected. No mottling or tiger striping at all, metallic laid out very nice.

I would definitely use it again for a daily driver and will probably use it when I repaint my 92 Mustang that is garage kept.

I was so impressed with the ease of spray and clarity of the Ultra H/S clearcoat
EC300 that I have used it again. It is going to be my go to "cheap clear" for now.

george248
01-20-2011, 06:55 AM
One more thing, this was only my second overall (first was PPG single stage). This one came out better than I expected and the price was great. BC/CC is so easy to spray :D

I even sent these pictures to Kirker and they put the car on their website and send me a t-shirt, which I thought was pretty cool.

I know a lot of folks like to "dog out" Kirker, and if I was a professional spraying customer cars, I would not be using it either. But for an amateur spraying at home, under less than ideal conditions, it works for me and more than met my expectations.

68C10
01-26-2011, 02:25 PM
That looks great. I have been trying to find a good economical base to use on a project I am working on and might have to try this Kirker paint. I have seen it at Smartshoppers store but have been reluctant to try it. I have sprayed Martin Senour Tec Base and clear on 2 cars with good results.

Hybrid killer
01-26-2011, 04:23 PM
Looks good. I have yet to use my 1.2 tip. I might give it a shot sometime

CoolasIce
01-31-2011, 05:40 PM
It really looks great.:)

I like the Kirker Ultra Glo for a cheap job. I think it's a pretty good value. And their epoxy (Enduro Prime) is a staple in my shop.

I have never used the basecoat additive, but I do plan on checking it out when I get a chance. Does it really go on like a basecoat?

Here's the $200 Ultra-Glo paint job- a real quickie job too.
Hey is that Mack Green?

Eddie
08-09-2011, 08:09 PM
Hey is that Mack Green?

Yes, it's mack green. It's a nice color on that truck.

silentdub
09-09-2011, 05:59 PM
Throw some armor all on those lower front grills and that car will look brand new.