PDA

View Full Version : buffing question-no swirl marks

TheCoatingStore.com

Albert
10-22-2010, 12:24 PM
Hello All,
I am buffing panels that were sanded with 1500 dry on an Airvantage, then wet sanded with 2000 by hand, an now buffing with the sure finish and the wool pad. RPM's are around 1000 at first, with not a lot of pressure, but enough to slow the buffer down slightly, then increasing to around 3000 on the third & fourth round.
I never end up with swirl marks, but still seem to see very, very light scratches. The surface is nice and flat tho.. Have I not gone far enough buffing, should I always see swirl marks to know I have buffed enough with the wool pad? I fear a burn thru8o..
Do you wait till the Sure Finish dries before you wipe off the excess?? I have been wiping it off wet-which is messy and leaves a residue that takes a lot to remove. Like removing wax before it has dried. I thought I remember someone saying to wipe it off wet.
THANKS ALL for any and all suggestions:)

Len
10-22-2010, 03:30 PM
Hello All,
I am buffing panels that were sanded with 1500 dry on an Airvantage, then wet sanded with 2000 by hand, an now buffing with the sure finish and the wool pad. RPM's are around 1000 at first, with not a lot of pressure, but enough to slow the buffer down slightly, then increasing to around 3000 on the third & fourth round.
I never end up with swirl marks, but still seem to see very, very light scratches. The surface is nice and flat tho.. Have I not gone far enough buffing, should I always see swirl marks to know I have buffed enough with the wool pad? I fear a burn thru8o..
Do you wait till the Sure Finish dries before you wipe off the excess?? I have been wiping it off wet-which is messy and leaves a residue that takes a lot to remove. Like removing wax before it has dried. I thought I remember someone saying to wipe it off wet.
THANKS ALL for any and all suggestions:)

Strange I find that the Sure Finish is quite easy to remove with a microfiber cloth. Make sure you're not using too much SF.

If you are still getting swirls you may want to switch to a foam pad. The softer the foam the less swirl it will generate. Dark, single stage colors and soft paint may make it very difficult to remove swirls with a buffer but you should get a satisfactory job using a soft foam pad.

Albert
10-22-2010, 07:40 PM
Len,
Thanks for the reply.
So should I wipe the excess off wet or dry?? And I looked again tonight in the late day sun, I am seeing SLIGHT swirling and some MINOR scratches. Should I do another pass with the wool pad?? I'll finish with the black foam pad.
BTW, I am glad you suggested buying the Makita buffer. What a nice tool!!!! SAme with the Airvantage, my old ass can't do what it used too!!!! Money very well spent!!!!:D
AL

Len
10-22-2010, 08:16 PM
I wipe the surface while it's wet then I rinse it before the polish dries. If you allow the polish to dry in the cracks and gaps it can be very difficult to remove.

If you have scratches made by the sandpaper then you should do a little more compounding with the wool or orange foam pad and after they are gone then switch to the black foam to help remove the swirls. The best tool for removing swirls is an orbital sander polisher either air or electric. I sell the National Detroit pneumatic but Makita makes a great electric orbital that I now own thanks to Robert but I haven't used it yet.

Albert
10-22-2010, 08:46 PM
AHHH!!! I can see the water rinse!!!! :) That should help a bunch.. I will be on it all weekend!! Want this project done so I can sell it and get to the fun stuff:D
Enjoy your weekend Len!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tech69
10-23-2010, 11:00 AM
that could be it. dirt loves to collect in it too. Always keep it moist and never allowed to dry cause you'll be polishing it with tiny spots of it. If you happen to have a bunch of it on your surface just use grease and wax. Using compound and/or water will leave you with more swirls cause you need more pressure getting it out that way.