PDA

View Full Version : BC mixed in with clear, color sand or not?

TheCoatingStore.com

Sewer Rat
10-21-2010, 11:57 PM
I have a couple of divots are about the size of a pencil eraser that I'm trying to fix without doing a large sand, feather & paint type repair. I filled and blocked them flat (maybe a little concave so I could do a miniature feather on them) then airbrushed them with a 50/50 mix of clear coat and base coat. It hasn't cured yet, but so far the color match and blend looks pretty good. Now I'm wondering what to expect tomorrow when it's finish time. Should I be able to color sand with some 2000 to flatten it out and help the blended edges or will that just expose the base coat that's mixed into the clear? Maybe just buff it and stand 10 feet away for inspection? The base coat is Dimension from Sherwin Williams in a Rose metallic color, the clear is Finish 1. Thanks for any help!

tech69
10-22-2010, 12:27 AM
I'd start with 1000 or 1500. I think you'll have a line you'll see.

Len
10-22-2010, 07:31 AM
I have a couple of divots are about the size of a pencil eraser that I'm trying to fix without doing a large sand, feather & paint type repair. I filled and blocked them flat (maybe a little concave so I could do a miniature feather on them) then airbrushed them with a 50/50 mix of clear coat and base coat. It hasn't cured yet, but so far the color match and blend looks pretty good. Now I'm wondering what to expect tomorrow when it's finish time. Should I be able to color sand with some 2000 to flatten it out and help the blended edges or will that just expose the base coat that's mixed into the clear? Maybe just buff it and stand 10 feet away for inspection? The base coat is Dimension from Sherwin Williams in a Rose metallic color, the clear is Finish 1. Thanks for any help!

The paint mix is a crap shoot because you mixed two products that are not meant to be mixed so it's impossible to predict what the outcome will be. The prep and application of the material are not how we would do it but it may work depending on how well each was done. I would have feathered the surface damage normally, not worrying about size then sprayed a filler primer, block sanded and blended base then clear using a spotting gun. The overall size of the repair would extend about 6" to 12" from the original damage but would be invisible at any distance.

Sewer Rat
10-22-2010, 02:14 PM
I guess I knew that is the right way to do it, I just don't have the nads to attack an otherwise good panel with the DA hoping that I'll learn how to do a decent blend before the car has to be back on the road. I figure I'm better off with a small imperfect repair instead of a large imperfect repair. If I can't live with the results from this experiment, I'll get a scrap panel and see if I can learn how to blend. Thanks for the inputs guys!