PDA

View Full Version : Sand Scratches

TheCoatingStore.com

Polish Painter
09-03-2010, 01:16 AM
Painting some panels off a 1965 Mustang , Metallic blue base coat . SPI Universal clear ( 4 wet coats ).
Wetsanded by hand 1000 grit with foam block one side grey other black which is firmer.
Used black firm side while sanding with 1000 grit.then 1500grit by hand wet. 3000 da trizact .

I have some 1500 trizact wet da, but didnt use it, probably should have. Buffed the panels with wool pad , 3m micrcompound, wool pad sure finish . Buffed outside garage in shade looks nice.

Problem, take them inside garage under my 30 each 4ft flourescent lights and see some scratches looks like some 1000 grit ( not a lot ) that I didnt completely get out with the 1500.

Take them back outside in the full sun, cant find the scratches. Problem is I cant leave well enough alone I guess. I will probably take them back outside today in the sun and shade and try to find them again.

I know me , I am fighting the urge to wetsand a little more with 1500-2000 and rebuff. Dont want to break thru clear . I never let anyone pickup a part in my garage anyway. I guess I am being very picky . Do some of you guys go thru this ??? Thanks

Len
09-03-2010, 09:19 AM
I know me , I am fighting the urge to wetsand a little more with 1500-2000 and rebuff. Dont want to break thru clear . I never let anyone pickup a part in my garage anyway. I guess I am being very picky . Do some of you guys go thru this ??? Thanks

I agonize over every job, that's what makes the work better than average.

Serge
09-04-2010, 12:13 PM
Good to know I am not alone...

Why not give it the once over with the 1500? Go for it, you seem to have enough clear on there.

I don't struggle very long with these, I go back to sand paper and don't waste my time with a buffer if sanding is required as its just a waste of time and product. If you left the 1000 scratches on the surface (hoping they are not a scratch made by a foreign object stuck under the sand paper like sand or other debris) they will be difficult to remove without sanding.

Just go slow and be methodical (you seem to be quite methodical already...)...If you can finish up with an orbital, that's the best to remove the swirl marks left by the rougher compounds...

How about a picture of that Mustang!...:)

slyhog22056
10-24-2010, 09:01 PM
i know this is an older thread but i buffed and polished my ass of on my datsun just to get it the way i wanted, in the garage under 20 100 watt incandescent lights. drove it around for a few days before tearing it down and didnt find any sand scratches, the 4 days i had it out i put up
5 8ft fluorescent lights in the garage. parked it in there and oh my god i could see sand scratches in quite a few places. tried to go back with the buffer and a wool pad to get them out but didnt work, still there. Since i already have to fix a large area my son chipped the paint off of with his belt buckle should i go ahead and try to go back with the 1500 and 2000 before reclearing??? or should i just leave it alone. this isnt a show car in any way just a weekend cruiser and sometimes autocrosser / 1/8 mile drag car.

Len
10-25-2010, 08:26 AM
i know this is an older thread but i buffed and polished my ass of on my datsun just to get it the way i wanted, in the garage under 20 100 watt incandescent lights. drove it around for a few days before tearing it down and didnt find any sand scratches, the 4 days i had it out i put up
5 8ft fluorescent lights in the garage. parked it in there and oh my god i could see sand scratches in quite a few places. tried to go back with the buffer and a wool pad to get them out but didnt work, still there. Since i already have to fix a large area my son chipped the paint off of with his belt buckle should i go ahead and try to go back with the 1500 and 2000 before reclearing??? or should i just leave it alone. this isnt a show car in any way just a weekend cruiser and sometimes autocrosser / 1/8 mile drag car.

I'd wet sand it with 3000 grit Trizact on an orbital sander then polish it. If you don't have an orbital sander you could use 2500 by hand.

http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/3m2085.jpg
Trizact Link (http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=3M2085&Category_Code=M3)

http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/3mmf.jpg
2500 Link (http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=3M2045&Category_Code=M3)

kevininohio
10-25-2010, 01:08 PM
I'd wet sand it with 3000 grit Trizact on an orbital sander then polish it. If you don't have an orbital sander you could use 2500 by hand.

I'm a newbie but I'm learning what works best for me. I started out using 1500 on a hard foam pad. I, like you, had to work hard to get the scratches out and still had slight remnants of peel where the pad was flexing over the "humps" if you will. I then went to starting with 2500 on a paint stick and am very happy with the way it works. I know it may take longer but a lot of mine is being rubbed out by hand. In the long run it may be the same amount of time, just less paint removed.

I go straight to an orange foam pad with Sure Finish and have no swirls to deal with so far when doing polishing bt hand. When it's an open area I'll go to the AirVantage with Trizact 3000. It is scratch free even under fluorescent lighting so I'm doing something okay. Camera doesn't show how it really is and it is not grainy. The dash was all hand sanded, rubbed out and took 13 hours. Way too many raised edges for me to attempt mechanical methods.