PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question of the day....

TheCoatingStore.com

laldog
08-30-2010, 09:35 AM
First, let me start by thanking you all for your help. Your collective wisdom and experience and willingness to share it has been monumental.
I would have quit and went to Maaco weeks ago if it wasn't for you kindness.

Now to my question....

I've been sanding the car to death, and the one panel I put my focus looks pretty good.
Admittedly, with my experience (or lack thereof) and equipment. I can't honestly expect a show car, but I do want the thing to look real nice, something that reflects the hundreds of hours I will spend wet sanding the thing.

How much does the depth (thickness) of the clear coat play into the final product??

I'm assuming that if I start my sanding with 600, (to get through the OP) and progress up to 2000, I'm removing quite alot of my clear. But if I'm able to do this without breaking through to the base color, I think I'm ok.

I understand buffing my cut a little of the clear coat, but I assume miniscule amounts.

It's been suggested to stop at 600 and reclear with a "softer" clear, but I'm I'm able to muscle through the existing Ceramiclear, and bring it to a gloss, am I alright?

Given my location and situation, wet sanding is a whole lot easier than reclearing the car.
What do you think.

(Verbal dope-slaps welcome)

Thanks.

Len
08-30-2010, 07:57 PM
First, let me start by thanking you all for your help. Your collective wisdom and experience and willingness to share it has been monumental.
I would have quit and went to Maaco weeks ago if it wasn't for you kindness.

Now to my question....

I've been sanding the car to death, and the one panel I put my focus looks pretty good.
Admittedly, with my experience (or lack thereof) and equipment. I can't honestly expect a show car, but I do want the thing to look real nice, something that reflects the hundreds of hours I will spend wet sanding the thing.

How much does the depth (thickness) of the clear coat play into the final product??

I'm assuming that if I start my sanding with 600, (to get through the OP) and progress up to 2000, I'm removing quite alot of my clear. But if I'm able to do this without breaking through to the base color, I think I'm ok.

I understand buffing my cut a little of the clear coat, but I assume miniscule amounts.

It's been suggested to stop at 600 and reclear with a "softer" clear, but I'm I'm able to muscle through the existing Ceramiclear, and bring it to a gloss, am I alright?

Given my location and situation, wet sanding is a whole lot easier than reclearing the car.
What do you think.

(Verbal dope-slaps welcome)

Thanks.

Once you sand it with 600 it's going to take a lot of effort to remove the 600 scratch. If the peel is really bad then sand with 600 wet using a block then with 800 or 1000 to remove the 600 scratch then with 1200 or 1500 then with 2500 then polish. It would be a lot easier if you could use an orbital sander and 3M Finishing Film and Trizact. You would reduce the amount of effort by 75% using a good orbital palm sander.