PDA

View Full Version : Waving look on door ?? ... just wet sanded

TheCoatingStore.com

stanclub
08-18-2010, 11:43 AM
I got problem on 2 of the cars already, don't know if I got problem in my sanding method, or the clear coat I used.

The problem I have is after I try to sand it flat, I ended up getting wavy reflection when looking at the door in angle. It is not the kind of wavy as orange peel, but more like actual wave on the door, but I can't feel it by touching the door. I wet sanded 800grit with short hard block first, then 1200 & 1500 with soft pad. Clear coat is Transtar Euro Classic. I applied 3 coats of clear for sanding.

What is my problem??

Len
08-18-2010, 12:14 PM
Do the waves follow the way the panels were sprayed, if so it could be your spraying technique or the gun's pattern. This type of problem usually is NOT created by the sanding process.

stanclub
08-31-2010, 11:44 AM
Len ....... thanks for your advice on the phone.

I have tried to sand it again with 11" long durablock, and found no low spots. The wave only shows when I looking at it while moving myself; the clear coat looks nice when looking at it at fixed location without moving.

Am I having problem within the clear coat? It seems not a physical wave problem on the surface, but reflection inside clear. By the way, the panels are flat.

I sprayed my first coat pretty wet, and got few run spots. The run spots are all fixed and they are not my problem. However, can my problem be the 1st wet coat flow unevenly underneath of 2 more coats on top that I kept on sanding flat??? Another words, I have sanded my 3rd coat flat, but the 1st coat it the bottom is not flat and cause wavy reflection??

silentdub
08-31-2010, 12:31 PM
Len ....... thanks for your advice on the phone.

I have tried to sand it again with 11" long durablock, and found no low spots. The wave only shows when I looking at it while moving myself; the clear coat looks nice when looking at it at fixed location without moving.

Am I having problem within the clear coat? It seems not a physical wave problem on the surface, but reflection inside clear. By the way, the panels are flat.

I sprayed my first coat pretty wet, and got few run spots. The run spots are all fixed and they are not my problem. However, can my problem be the 1st wet coat flow unevenly underneath of 2 more coats on top that I kept on sanding flat??? Another words, I have sanded my 3rd coat flat, but the 1st coat it the bottom is not flat and cause wavy reflection??

I am currently fighting with one door because I know if I clear it, if will turn out the way you see your wave.

Just because the panel is flat, there may still be a wave to it. If you block a door as I did, the center of the door can be just a little lower than the edges, even though it sand flat, it is still a slightly different level than the edges.

I basically blocked the center of the door a little too much, you can't feel it, but when you wet it to gloss it up and look at an angle, you can see the light reflect off the front and rear and it differs from the center.

It is tough to explain, but I know what you are looking at and it matches my 1 door that I just ordered some slick sand for.

The rest of the car is perfect, I should have replaced this door, but I am an idiot. :dunce:

stanclub
08-31-2010, 02:29 PM
I am currently fighting with one door because I know if I clear it, if will turn out the way you see your wave.

Just because the panel is flat, there may still be a wave to it. If you block a door as I did, the center of the door can be just a little lower than the edges, even though it sand flat, it is still a slightly different level than the edges.

I basically blocked the center of the door a little too much, you can't feel it, but when you wet it to gloss it up and look at an angle, you can see the light reflect off the front and rear and it differs from the center.

It is tough to explain, but I know what you are looking at and it matches my 1 door that I just ordered some slick sand for.

The rest of the car is perfect, I should have replaced this door, but I am an idiot. :dunce:

Thanks ... Silentdub,

My only confusion in my problem is that the wave reflection is not only on the door that I have blocked, but another one that has no repair done, but blending.

I have blocked the front door old clear coat for base paint, and the rear door I just scuffed it ( I now scuff just the area that P1000 sand paper can't reach ). In my understanding, the front door could be caused by the problem you describe. However, my rear door has no blocking done, but it has wave on it as well. That is the part I don't understand.

I have 2 cars, total 4 doors having issue. 2 doors out of 4 are not blocked, but just reclear the factory. Why always the door?????