PDA

View Full Version : clear removal

TheCoatingStore.com

birdcage
08-09-2010, 12:09 PM
my 1989 ford van has been sprayed with clear........the problem is that the clear has started to peel badly.......

can i remove the clear without sanding the paint ?

Rollinsmoke
08-09-2010, 12:52 PM
Anywhere the clear has peeled you'll need to scuff at minimum to get the new to stick. Most of the time we hit something like that with 80/180 DA/Block sand and then prime then block by hand again with 320-400 and then shoot base/clear.

The problem with only removing the clear itself is that it may be possible in the flats but, it will leave an uneven surface whereever it's not feathered. Any peeler we get I strip down pretty far because I don't want to see it again.

birdcage
08-09-2010, 01:13 PM
o k .........the proble is that the clear has not only peeled it has discolored.....is there a clear primer ?

i hope to not have to sand into the original paint..........

but i would like to remove the old peeling clear........if i could just get the old clear off the van would look fine............i don`t want to re-shoot any more clear on the areas where the clear is now.

Len
08-09-2010, 02:12 PM
o k .........the proble is that the clear has not only peeled it has discolored.....is there a clear primer ?

i hope to not have to sand into the original paint..........

but i would like to remove the old peeling clear........if i could just get the old clear off the van would look fine............i don`t want to re-shoot any more clear on the areas where the clear is now.

The way to repaint properly would be to remove the existing clear, prep and clean the surface then apply color and clear. Sanding is required to remove any lose paint and to give the remaining paint enough texture for the new paint to grip.

silentdub
08-10-2010, 01:40 PM
my 1989 ford van has been sprayed with clear........the problem is that the clear has started to peel badly.......

can i remove the clear without sanding the paint ?

I actually remember this some time ago. The paint that was used by Ford in the late 89-90 depending on when the car was made was done with defective paint. A firend had a 90 Taurus SHO and the clear cloat was gone in a year.

you had to FIGHT to get a respray and FORD decided that it would be cheaper to respray a few cars here and there rather than repaint all of the effected cars. If I recall, Ford was notified prior to the cars leaving the factory.

I would remove the clear and sand the color as well.

FORD, Quality is Job#1!

Tincup
08-19-2010, 03:06 PM
I used to work at a Chrysler dealership in the late 70's and they had a lot of problems with their silver paints peeling. We used to strip them down with razor blades, if you take your time you can do it without messing up the base color.