PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone do any airbrushing?

wolfsautobody
06-10-2006, 05:34 PM
Does anyone in this forum do any airbrushing? I am trying to find out about some airbrush paints...

Thanks,
Ben

Mcgoo
06-10-2006, 06:47 PM
I have an airbrush guy come in to my shop alot. Here is a good site for questions about airbrush work. http://novogate.com/exco/index.php?boardid=483

wolfsautobody
06-10-2006, 08:55 PM
I am just trying to see if it is possible to airbrush a vehicle with the Createx Airbrush Colors. Createx is also the company that makes the Auto-Air Colors, which is for vehicles. I bought some of the Createx Airbrush Colors to practice with because you can get them at Hobby Lobby for $2.99/ 2 oz. bottle and they have some custom colors in this cheaper version too like candies and pearls. I am trying to find out what is the difference between the two as far as the color holding up to the weather. I read that there are additives that can be added to use for different applications.

Ben

wolfsautobody
06-10-2006, 08:58 PM
I tried the link but it wouldn't go through.

Serge
06-10-2006, 11:21 PM
I would not use it on anything important. I have seen it delaminate...There is alot of airbrushing done in and around my shop, and no one likes it...mind you, the new reducer is worth getting if you are going to use them (they got a new reducer out since they were having alot of sprayability problems).

My theory is that because it does not spray well and because it does'nt flow at all its easy to dry spray. Since the adhesion between coats is mechanical, then you end up with adhesion problems.

If you do use it, beware of dry spray because you risk delamination...I have seen it with my own eyes...not pretty...

In my book, it's not worth the bother...get some basecoat or a House of Kolor kit for airbrushing...

Just 2 cents worth...
Serge

MysteRay
06-12-2006, 10:20 AM
Try www.airbrush.com (http://www.airbrush.com).

The regular Createx is not really meant for automotive type applications. I have used it for practice on helmets, but nothing long term, so I do not know of the durability. Their Auto-Air line is better. Follow instructions and heatset and you should be ok with this. Uro's are best. Like Serge said, get a HOK airbrush set or just some base color and this will give you the best results, the easiest way.

Jaguar
06-20-2006, 12:19 PM
What kind of surface are you looking to airbrush on? This will determine what product you will need, what airbrush works best and if there are any extra supplies you will need. Auto Air is a water based auto paint that works well. The drawback with Createx is it was made for T-Shirts and does not adhere well to automotive paint. It will also fade in the hot sun. I know what some people are told that if you clear it with a UV clear that won't happen. Well the key to color holdout is to use a UV protected color as well. You don't want to do a labor intensive job that will only look good for a short while. Paint some on a small card and put it on your dash and see what happens. Some Automotive Neons will state right on the can that they will fade. Stick to automotive color for automotive applications. You can reduce them for doing detail and still have a good bond as well. There is less of a build up of color, not so with the textile paints or some acrylics. I used Createx for T-shirts and illustration board projects in the Airbrush Class I taught in college but only automotive paint for the custom paint part of the class. Each paint has its own purpose if you read the label it should state what they are. When buying airbrush equipment go to www.BEARAIR.com the prices will blow you away compaired to what you will pay elsewhere.
Doug,
Jaguar Graphics
www.jagprint.net

Mooch
06-20-2006, 12:44 PM
I use Autoair and like it myself. I'm not into airbrushing though.

I have had no problems with Autoair delaminating and if someone did ,well i would say it was operator error.
Not here to start a flame war just would like to see the facts presented in a fair manner. My suggestion to you would be to got to this site and be your own judge. You will see where some very talented people seem to like it a lot.
To me that speaks volumes as it it were junk ,they wouldn't be using it.
Take a look www.autoaircolors.com Mooch :rolleyes: