PDA

View Full Version : Hardened Ash on my paint, help!

TheCoatingStore.com

kim
07-29-2010, 11:20 PM
Hello,

I have a very new car and this past week an auto repair shop caught fire. Hundreds of tires were on fire and subsequently caused the air to fill with ash. My car was parked outside at work all day and when I returned to my car there were tiny white dots covering the surface. I went to wash my car and they did not come off whatsoever. They are tiny and hard and seem to come off when I rub them with my nail. Any suggestions????

Thanks!
-Kim

Len
07-30-2010, 09:39 AM
Hello,

I have a very new car and this past week an auto repair shop caught fire. Hundreds of tires were on fire and subsequently caused the air to fill with ash. My car was parked outside at work all day and when I returned to my car there were tiny white dots covering the surface. I went to wash my car and they did not come off whatsoever. They are tiny and hard and seem to come off when I rub them with my nail. Any suggestions????

Thanks!
-Kim

In most cases a good compounding will remove contaminants on the surface but you can also use a clay bar to drag off contaminants and in extreme cases you can use a very fine sandpaper to cut the surface slightly then buff it to restore the gloss. If you can't handle this work yourself you may have good luck taking the car to a "detailer" that can work on it for you but hiring someone for this could cost a couple hundred dollars.

http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/fib37.jpg
Clay Link (http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=FIB37&Category_Code=DC)

Robert
07-30-2010, 08:36 PM
but you shouldn't have to pay for it. File a claim, get a couple of estimates and if you want, buy the stuff and do it yourself. You can get all the tools, polisher, clay, pads, compound/polish wax etc and have a lot left over to do the rest of the cars in that lot. You could be on a nice payday there.

Robert

kim
07-31-2010, 01:36 AM
Thank you so much Len! My dad and I got a clay bar and worked on it today and it worked beautifully!

Thank you thank you!